What's new
What's new

Abrasive 3B surfaces grinder - Stuck Spindle

JTknives

Plastic
I have just bought an abrasive 3B surface grinder for what is considered a great price for my area. It was his fauthers and has sat for 20 years. He said he never used it but remembers his dad used it all the time. But he said he dad had an issue with with it and could not figure it out so it just sat. He told me he thought the motor was sized up as nothing would turn. When I looked at it I pulled the belt off and it's the spindle that's stuck. I gave it a little tap tap with a rubber hammer and used a nut wrench to try and turn it and it would move a very very tiny bit but I quickly stopped becaus I did not want to make things worse. I found the manual PDF download but the spindle page is such tiny print and the scan copy is quite blurry and I cant read it.

Does anyone have any idea how to proceed. I'm guessing the bronze bearing is tapered and I was hoping it was over tightened and is stuck. But being that I can't read the manual or really see the spindle cutaway I'm not sure. Does anyone have a better copy of this manual? Also any advise would be great. Thanks guys

Hello there JTknives I have the same 3B beast of a machine. I did scan the manual I have and its pretty clear in the parts diagram. If you need a copy of it in pdf PM me. The spindle looks like its on regular ball bearings. The only taper in the spindle is where the wheel mounts. What kind of condition is the rest of it in? How are you planning on powering it VFD? I use a 3hp VFD on mine and it works out great.

Back