What's new
What's new

Ammonia to clean a surface plate

SirRage

Aluminum
Don Bailey from Suburban Tool had an interesting youtube video showing how to clean a surface plate using ammonia. Now, I know a lot of people would say don't do this so I'm a bit confused about it myself. I wanted to see what others think about this. I mean, he's been in this business for a while so I'm included to think this is good advice.

Here is the video.
How To Clean (Cleaning) A Surface Plate - YouTube

A granite surface plate is a chunk of stone, close to fully dense. Any cleaner that doesn't leave a residue, and which tends to remove existing oil (including skin oil and fingerprints), grease and resin residues, will work just fine.

It's not clear what, precisely, what motivates your question. You want a survey of how many people think Don is a slob? You want a headcount of people who swear ammonia is the exact and only Holy Unguent for cleaning surface plates? I don't fall in either camp. It works. Lots of other things work, too.

I have a large plate next to a VMC its been neglected for MANY years mostly it was used for an extra work bench,
Nothing I tried would do the job so finally I used the same caustic crap I use when aluminum loads the flutes on a carbide endmill.
Did a really nice job

...It's not clear what, precisely, what motivates your question...

I've read time and again don't use ammonia, so I was a bit surprised by the recommendation. I suppose I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

The manual for the Brown and Sharpe CMM machine we had at my last job recommended isopropyl alcohol to clean the granite air bearing surfaces.

Starrett surface plate cleaner. works good on surface plates and cleaning parts going on surface plate.
no residue cleaner that will not cause problems with granite. inspection people have asked i only use it too for final cleaning parts off before sending to them. they prefer it over Windex

Back