What's new
What's new

Any differences between US and european Grit # designations

lobito

Aluminum
Hi folks

Being a total ignorant what grinding knowledge concerns, I have some very general question about grit#:

Are US grit numbers of grinding stuff like grinding wheels, sandpaper etc.
the same as in europe? Sorry if this question sounds silly, but it could be that the numbers denote different norms of particle sizes.

My other question is about diamond grinding wheels.
I'm looking for new 6" electroplated grinding wheels for a Baldor carbide tool grinder.
I think to remember, that I've read somewhere that the grit numbers for diamond abrasives does not correspond to the usual abrasive numbers.

Thanks, Rinaldo

Don’t know if you guys remember Ray Nixon of Senica Falls and Royal Oak but he explained it to me as the wires size making up the sifting screens is slightly different and so the abrasive size slightly different. Yes Ray knew the different wire size. Such a long time ago I don’t remember much of it.
I am not going to be much help on the question. Except, yes there is a slight difference.
Atlantic has a decent page on grit size http://www.atlantic-schleifscheiben...hueren/english/Diamond_and_CBN_English_07.pdf
We would back shim Baldor wheels to make them run to .002 or better so one area or the wheel would not run through and so some of the wheel no longer usable. Name brand wheels are made very true so one can also true up the wheel mount to make true and the wheels run with little or no shimming. It is not uncommon to wear the wheel face out of flat so with a .002 or so dish we would constantly work on the high area to not get worse than .001/.002’ out of flat.

Back