What's new
What's new

Best Manual Tool grinder

Werkzjig

Plastic
I have a new product, a portable drill jig
Id like to prototype some tooling dor it. I would like to use a Walter, but about $350k. So, question is what is a decent manual tool grinding machine

Thanks

Since you need some prototype tooling for your jig jobbing it out to someone with the 350K grinder also comes to mind.
Got the time to learn this end on a manual? These don't just spit out drill bits easily.
If it has the right attachments think 200-400 hours to learn to make a simple basic drill from solid. 6000+ hours for specials.
That 350K machine will do it all in software so custom is easier. Learning time here is also the 200-400 hour for your first good part.

I have a new product, a portable drill jig
Id like to prototype some tooling dor it. I would like to use a Walter, but about $350k. So, question is what is a decent manual tool grinding machine

Thanks

So if it is a drill jig, why do you need a special drill bit for it? If that is the case, who is your market that will buy a jig that needs a special bit? If it is that complicated why not just mount the part on a mill and drill or bore it? A jig is a good thing if the part cannot go on a mill, or there is no mill to put it on.

dee
;-D

Everyone makes valid points. I am actually considering making some indexable drills. Application specific for non-ferrous materials. Just mulling it over is all really. The jig uses vacuum clamping and is light enough to be carried around, attached to a portable drill. I appreciate the feedback

Everyone makes valid points. I am actually considering making some indexable drills. Application specific for non-ferrous materials. Just mulling it over is all really. The jig uses vacuum clamping and is light enough to be carried around, attached to a portable drill. I appreciate the feedback

?????
Indexable drills are made on lathes and milling machines normally from 4140 pre-hard.
The bits are made on insert grinders which are not tool and cutter grinders or Walters grinders but carry names like Agathon, Wendt, or Wit-o-matic.

?????
Indexable drills are made on lathes and milling machines normally from 4140 pre-hard.
The bits are made on insert grinders which are not tool and cutter grinders or Walters grinders but carry names like Agathon, Wendt, or Wit-o-matic.

Thanks, I'll dig a little deeper now

It's hard to beat twist drills for chip evacuation and positive rake for being able to keep the bit moving with low force. The one case where something special is required in hand drilling is for brass which would like negative rake to prevent grabbing.

Perhaps the best grinder for Indexable drills would be the Royal Oak. it has a rotating work head that retracts for radial relief. the method is to dress the form into the wheel and allow the work head to pull away for each tooth axial form and relief. much used in the valve and faucet industry.

For repeats of one -ups a round form of the desired tool shape can be crushed into a crush wheel, then the form can be transferred to the drill. Yes a separate grinder is handy for gash , facing and splitting.

For a simple spade droll a Cincinnati #1 or #2 would do a fair job with a facetted end grind.

Pretty tricky grinding and making holes, grinding the holder end true to the cutting edges.. not for the new guy and tough for the grinder hand. Spade drills / Karnasch Professional Tools

Back