What's new
What's new

Best price source for grinding wheels?

Seems I've bought grinding wheels mostly on ebay, a few from PM'rs and maybe a 1/2 dozen over the years from MSC but not recently Maybe a few Camels from KBC in the past.

It's surprisingly difficult to shop value/price among the catalog stores without spending a lot of time cross referencing brands and specs among all the wheels. Is there a source like Mari tool, only for surface grinding wheels, where you know that the value will always be fair and all you have to do is decide what flavor you want today? I'd like Radiac but could be convinced to try other brands.

smt

I bought a big job lot off ebay, couple were too big, couple chipped rest have - one day will be keeping my kids grinding, trade off is there all part worn.

If your after specifics, yeah its going to cost more - need more effort.

What sizes are you looking for? Pedestal wheels, surface grinder wheels?
I have 2 cabinets full of wheels and some need to find a new home. If interested, Shoot me a PM with what you need and I will see if it's in the pile.

I used to like Norton but lately it seems they have gotten a little harder than the specs. Always liked and still like Radiac. Seems to me the white AO wheels are still the best for a best finish. Seems the gray and brown wheels hold up longer but run hotter, with less light-cut good finish than white AO wheels. Don't care for camels

The old (natural diamond) Diamond wheel are far better than the manufactured diamond wheel now most common. Old natural marked with D not MD.

Just bought a few boxes of used Carborundum 46 Is or Js AO (that were 8x 1 ½ (recess) x 1/1/4 when new.. Wow are they good for hard tool steel grinding for surface finish and cool (not hot) grinding.. But now they are a width of 5/8 to just under a half inch.

They (Carborundum) got busted for asbestos in their diamond wheels and so think went out of business. Many (most)old diamond wheels had asbestos so a mask is recommended with use of old diamond wheels. I wear a simple mask for all grinding now AO and everything.

*Stephen, Private message me your address and I will send you a couple of these AO wheels for the cost of postage.

(Good tip.. Make a tool bit ring on you diamond cup wheels so you can tell 500-320-120 or what with a quick look/ put a wore out plastic wheel on the back spindle end as a handle and safety device for the not used often end.)

Buck

I don't know about best price but I have a vendor recommendation for best value. I use Diamond Industrial Tool in Lincolnwood IL. Ask for Harry. He has been in the business for over 50 years and knows his stuff. 1-800-972-0132. Tell him Frank at MariTool sent you. He is a certified abrasive engineer and has recommended a wheel for my Toyoda cylindrical grinder that can grind twice as many pieces between dresses and holds a tighter shape than my other wheel.

For best pricing you do not want to go to big box store, i.e. grainger or MSC. I have just found their pricing too high for grinding wheels.

You will want to find a local tooling supplier, for example here in the Milwaukee Area we have Engman Taylor, Blackhawk Industrial or All Integrated Solutions.

then you may get better support from the reps as well.

Otherwise Ebay for grinding wheels, if you find your spec, is probably the best place.

Thanks for the ideas and offers, guys!

I have 2 grinders, one (DoALL D1030) take 10" x 3" hole wheels, and one (old B & S #2 618) takes 7" x 1-1/4" hole.

I like 46J & I wheels. Mostly soft steel, some tool steels, currently often 17-4 various hardness. These are not production runs. I can't have a wheel for every material, there's already a few dozen in the rafters. Have most of the wheels needed for the 10". Tons of used up and thin wheels for the 7". Need to order a couple (or would consider a box if seen on eBay) of 46J & I. Still have some H's which are seldom used. Have many finer and harder grits on hand. Really, it's the 46 J/I that get used up. Ideal spec for one that does it all would be Radiac ruby 46J or similar.

I don't mind paying the price. Just hate trying to find comparable vendors, compare costs, buy a box and find out they could have been had for 1/2 price elsewhere (besides dogging eBay daily which I used to do and will probably still do for 10").

Which brings to mind another question: Since 8" wheels are rated for 3600rpm, is there any reason not to fab a larger guard, and run them on my B & S instead of the 7"? That would be about 50% better life for not that much more cost. Though they would act harder at first than what the 7" does.

Michigan, I'll try to clean out my PM box & get back to you a little later - thanks for the offer!

smt

Hello,
I've had very good results with MSC. One of their sales reps spent some time helping me with 12" surface grinding wheels and I got a pretty decent discount on just a one wheel purchase. Learning about what works best for your application will take time and money. Once you know what wheels you need, MSC will fill your order with a good, fresh and properly stored product.
Surface Grinding Wheel selection is a very serious matter, find another place to cut corners.
otrlt

Which brings to mind another question: Since 8" wheels are rated for 3600rpm, is there any reason not to fab a larger guard, and run them on my B & S instead of the 7"? That would be about 50% better life for not that much more cost. Though they would act harder at first than what the 7" does.

smt

Or put a VFD on the grinder and turn the speed down to .875 X 3600. :)

Denis

^ IF he had the VFD he would already be able to drop speed and make a harder wheel act softer!

I just ordered some from pexcraft abrasives in china. Very cheap price we will see about quality though. Got them as a sample. Typically we use Sait for our abrasives. Norton has quality stuff as does another company we deal with called kimball midwest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've had very good results with MSC. One of their sales reps spent some time helping me with 12" surface grinding wheels and I got a pretty decent discount on just a one wheel purchase. Learning about what works best for your application will take time and money. Once you know what wheels you need, MSC will fill your order with a good, fresh and properly stored product.
Surface Grinding Wheel selection is a very serious matter, find another place to cut corners.
otrlt

Why does this post sound like spam? :rolleyes5:

I used to buy from MSC - it was a good company when it was Sid Tool, and still good when it became Manhattan Supply Co & Sid Jacobs ran it, and pretty good when he first passed it to his son. It used to be the company you knew was fair priced as most levels of purchase, when all the big companies at the time (Anyone remember DoALL?) and us small guys could not order from McMaster, which also had multi-level pricing including overpriced cutting tools (at that time). Now MSC is among the worst of the game players, over priced compared to competitors for same products, prefer not to reward bad behavior if I can avoid it.

As far as wheels - I know pretty well what works for me. If you read the post, it was not in any way about "choose a wheel" for me. It was "Is there a source that is fair priced across the board so I don't have to figure out what game to play or whether and where to find the promo code, or hoew predictable their sale pattern is anytime i want to order any particular wheel or box of wheels"

If you still need help specifying and like MSC service, good for you.

smt

I just ordered some from pexcraft abrasives in china. Very cheap price we will see about quality though. Got them as a sample. Typically we use Sait for our abrasives. Norton has quality stuff as does another company we deal with called kimball midwest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

i dont see any gringing wheels on their site.

Got a few Norton "Quantum" wheels for free, they are a green color wheel. Work very nice in tool steel for dry grinding on our little key grinder. Cut cool and fast.

The best source is from a salesman that knocks on doors & works on commission. Your best interest is his best interest. If you don't make money, neither will he. They survive on repeat sales.

Back