What's new
What's new

Boyar-Schultz wheel adapter removal question

atomarc

Diamond
I have a 612 Boyar-Schultz grinder and have a few Sopko wheel adapters that have the internal thread feature that allows the adapter to be removed using the thread-in tool. I also have some other brand adapters that do not have that feature. Is there a standard was to pull those adapters off short of removing the wheel and using a small puller?

I can access the back of the adapter and could use a wedge or bar but that seems rather primitive..and scary, in terms of cracking a wheel!

Stuart

QT: seems rather primitive..and scary, in terms of cracking a wheel! ( with not having a puller thread)
a light pry works fine .. even a wedge and a light tap is common...but that is haw many spindle are set up...yes you have to take care to not bump the wheel or tap very hard...the taper allows the mount to come off easy..most often..

Guess one could make up a puller to fit that use..

For straight wheels I just pull the wheel and dress..using extra mounts for diamond wheels..think changing moutts just for wheel grade or hardness is tough on the taper..IMHO.
Good to mark mounts and line up with a mark on the spindle so they run closer at start..I would face my mounts if they did not run true then put them back with lining up marks..yes only it the mounts were for only one grinder.
With a carbide tool bit one can take a .002 or so cut from most mounts at 3400 or so RPM (but not recommending that just in case you fail)

Hi Buck,

For straight wheels I just pull the wheel and dress..using extra mounts for diamond wheels..think changing moutts just for wheel grade or hardness is tough on the taper..IMHO.

I didn't know that's how you do it. I agree that changing mounts is tough on the taper.

So you keep the same mount (flange) on the machine, just take the wheel off the flange, put on a new one and dress? I thought that the main reason to have wheels on different flanges, and change those wheel/flange units, was because then they could be balanced How do you handle that when you swap wheels but not flanges? Or do you put "divots" in the wheels with a carbide-tipped drillbit to balance them?

Cheers,
Bruce

For the price of mounting adapters,I'd toss any that did not have pull threads. Remove wheel, use a gear puller to remove hub, throw in trash can. Install new hub with wheel, dress and go.

Back