What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Monoset grind head lubrication

Paul308GTSi

Plastic
Hi everyone, I have just purchased a Cincinnati Monoset grinder and have started checking it over and familiarising myself with the required maintenance items.

I am unable to find where to lubricate the grind head spindle. The manual indicates a point in the middle upper area of the grind head but I cannot find any holes or lubrication points. Any help would be appreciated.Monoset grind spindle.jpg

Well here I am replying to me ...

It would appear some Monosets were delivered sealed for life as far as the wheel head spindle bearings went. Searching has revealed no lubrication points.

The original bearings (2MM9106WI) are available in 6 different specifications. They are listed as Oil lubricated in lite, medium and heavy duty, and grease lubricated in lite, medium and heavy duty. Each spec has different maximum revs. I think the slowest was 10,200 for heavy duty grease lubricated.
I also saw some of these bearing listed for sale and one of the packets indicated heavy duty rating (DUH) but the bearing itself had no such marking.

I have a variable frequency drive not far off being connected, what do you guys think of speeding up the spindle via new pulleys to maybe 9500 rpm's ?

Well here I am replying to me ...

It would appear some Monosets were delivered sealed for life as far as the wheel head spindle bearings went. Searching has revealed no lubrication points.

The original bearings (2MM9106WI) are available in 6 different specifications. They are listed as Oil lubricated in lite, medium and heavy duty, and grease lubricated in lite, medium and heavy duty. Each spec has different maximum revs. I think the slowest was 10,200 for heavy duty grease lubricated.
I also saw some of these bearing listed for sale and one of the packets indicated heavy duty rating (DUH) but the bearing itself had no such marking.

I have a variable frequency drive not far off being connected, what do you guys think of speeding up the spindle via new pulleys to maybe 9500 rpm's ?

As long as the wheel will take it........

Back