What's new
What's new

Clarkson / March Tool & Cutter Grinder Wheel Specs

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

Just managed to acquire a rather nice March (Clarkson) Tool & Cutter Grinder Mk.1 M1

March (Clarkson) Tool & Cutter Grinder Mk.1

It's come (actually not delivered yet :( ) with limited tooling and no wheels. Although I've googled lots of data on the T&C I cannot find specifications on the wheel bore size for the spindle.

I guess someone can answer this quickly so here's hoping ;)

Oh ... and if anyone can offer me any spindles and adapters ... just PM me (Cash awaits :D)

Many thanks

John :typing::cheers:

Clarkson operators manual says 1/2" bore

From page 44 of mine.

Your new machine comes to you suppliedwith two Grinding Wheels,i.e.:-

A Plain Grinding Wheel :- ................. 5" dia. x 1/4" thick x 1/2" bore

and

A Cup Grinding Wheel:- ..................... 3 1/4" dia. x 2 1/8" dia. x 1 1/4" wide x 1/2" bore

These two wheels should cover your normal grinding wheel requirements. if, however, you wish to use other wheels you must keep them within the limits stated below when using the guard supplied.

Maximum Wheel Diameter ...................... 5"

Maximum Wheel Width at Outside Diameter ..... 2"

Maximum Wheel Width at Bore ................. 1/4"
2"
All Grinding Wheels should state a maximum safe operating speed and they must not be mounted on the machine if their maximum safe operating speed is below the spindle speed specified on the machine belt guard.

These maximum speeds ar as follows :-

Mk 1 Machine ..................................4,000 rpm

Mk 2 Machine .........................4,000 or 6,000 rpm

Clive

Looks like a fine machine.. Small foot print makes it very handy..guess you might get a good quality 46 I and a 60 I for starters cup..watch wheel stated RPM. Use blotters and safety glasses. yes likely need a diamond wheel..120 and 320 are common for cutter work.
Qt Clive: [they must not be mounted on the machine if their maximum safe operating speed is below the spindle speed specified on the machine belt guard.]

What do you intend to do with it...Drills and end mill ends are easy.. mill cutters also a snap..Reamers best done between centers..but you can ream a stub bushing with a need sharpening reamer and use that for end only with a tail center..router bits a snap, circular saws easy..

No I have not used a Clarkson but they are much all the same..

What do you intend to do with it...Drills and end mill ends are easy.. mill cutters also a snap..Reamers best done between centers..but you can ream a stub bushing with a need sharpening reamer and use that for end only with a tail center..router bits a snap, circular saws easy..

I'll be doing mainly drills and End Mills but need to source or make some adapters first as it's been stripped of tooling :(

Thanks for you input ;)

John :typing::cheers:

Free download the Cinci manual for good ideas
Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - Cincinnati #2 Cutter and Tool Grinder Manual | VintageMachinery.org

You can make simple centers with making a weld-mit mock up, keyed to table centers.. then drill and line ream the straight bore for straight shank centers.. centers having a set screw flat..yes you might design a spring end but that is not needed.

look at the cinci tooth finger design and make that..finger should be so it can tooth set above and below center perhaps 1/2 inch.

A long V block.. perhaps 4" long, 1" inch wide V.. made to bolt on and swing on table..locked with a hand protractor setting.. drills and end mill ends done with this.

A simple spin index, with having a drilled hole in base, to be mounted to and angle plate off your table for hand protractor set.. cut a plastic shield to protect grit going into the tube.. good for making specials and counter bores..You spin the tool round, then back off clearances and OD margins.

Many think a grinding fixture need be high precision but that is not true.. one needs to be such that the tool can be rotated to the next tooth accurately.. almost always the cutter needs to be tweaked a little to get precise square or angle... having dead accuracy in the device is handy but not needed.

Yes I have near dead-on devices but have learned the tool is king not the device.

One thing the Cincy had was a turning wheel head(rotating at the base not tilting)..turning allowed the wheel arc edge to provide a clearance angle so tool holding devices did not have to provide clearance with tilting..don't know if you have that..Tilting a centers held tool (such as a reamer or the like)below center gives clearance..

Same with a mill cutter/or end mill .. a down angle tooth tilt (rotate) provide clearance even with having no tilt in the holding device. You tilt the lip down to get clearance...then bump off desired protractor-set angle to compound that gives clearance and correct angle. often a half degree to 2*.

*Very often it is better to parked-wheel rub the job to match angle(or 90*) to old grind...because the tool is the master not the machine. Knowing the old tool is 1/2* off you rub test, then turn a half degree from their.

New guys will indicate / jo block / measure to set machine just perfect...to find that correct numbers don't give the correct tool..Yes CNC machines figure that all on the fly and compound tweaking in a snap.

On your March one thing I don't like is the exposed rack gear for long travel.. when you run out of things to do perhaps make a over top shield to keep grit from rack.

Theses are so easy to make fresh and true so seems a lot of money to spend on wore out fixtures..

CLARKSON TOOL AND CUTTER GRINDER MILLING CUTTERS ENGINEERS TOOLING GRINDING | eBay
CLARKSON TOOL AND CUTTER GRINDER ENGINEERS TOOLING MILLING CUTTERS GRINDING | eBay

Making grinding fixtures I like to throw out in the weather for a time to (rust and weather) stress relieve then finish if any welding was done..yes having proper stress relief is also good.

But still the tool is king not the fixture.

Note that angle plate off table.. with having a bore hole, a V block and a simple small vise is very handy.. the bottom key should be removable so swing and turn is easy when needed.

Oh: that same with a bar diamond wheel dresser in good.

And a hand held abrasive wheel dresser.. look at Cracker Jack mini for reference.

Wow ... thanks very much for the references. Received the machine today and was pleasently surprised to find a pair of centres and universal head in the cupboard :D, now need to get some abrasive wheels.

Your comments are greatly appreciated :)

John :cheers:

Back