What's new
What's new

Cleaning and corrosion protection for LapMaster lapping machine

Spud

Diamond
I have a Lapmaster 15 benchtop lapping machine.

What is the best method to clean it and what kind of products should I use and what products should I Not use?

I presume it would be fine to clean the Lapping plate , Lapping Rings and Weights with Acetone?
Isoprophyl Alcohol, Denatured Alcohol ??

I do not have a Parts washer or Ultrasonic Cleaner. So manual cleaning is the only option I have.

Re. Corrosion protection
Is it ok to spray corrosion inhibitors like BoeShield onto the Lapping Plate, Lapping Rings and Weights? What about WD40 corrosion inhibitor? Unit will be stored in a rental garage after cleaning, so somewhat concerned with corrosion due to the climate here.

Thanks

Caveat: I do not know anything about lapping machines.

A good way to store items like this is in a sealed bag or container with a vapor phase corrosion inhibitor. See Bull Frog - The Complete RUST & Corrosion Protection System | Cortec Corporation for these. VPCI deposit a layer a few molecules thick so they will not affect the lapping place clearances or properties. But they get everywhere and are very effective in preventing corrosion without making a mess. I would suggest a Bull Frog Emitter Cup.

PS: I'm not associated with this company in any way, just a satisfied customer.

As Long as you don't reuse the vehicle to much very little cleaning is ever required... we have a lapMaster 24 I use on a semidaily basis. I would avoid doing to much cleaning of the plate, it inherently cleans itself... everything else I use Simple Green on... also fresh lapping vehicle is pretty good at breaking up but he old lapping vehicle

If it's been used with an oil based compound take off the lap, rings and arms and power wash them with soap and hot water at a car wash. This should get the old grit out of the slots. Then spray it with anything oily. Unless you are doing some very fine polishing you don't need to keep it very clean. If you are going to use it with a water based fluid you could use Rustlick G25J. I run them with straight water and SiC grit. Just spray the Rustlick when you are done to keep the rust to a minimum. My lappers get rusty all the time..... no big deal.
SM

Back