What's new
What's new

CNC OD profile grinder

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, can anyone point me in the direction as to who makes OD profile grinders?

I am not sure about the terminology, but believe it's called something like single point grinding.

I know for a fact that a while back at Eastec ( when it was much much bigger with far more exhibitors ) I saw and drooled over
a relatively small OD grinder ( perhaps 6 or 8" swing ) that was designed specifically for grinding profiles.
It had a fully indexable spindle for C axis capability, tiltable wheel for thread grinding etc.

I may be Google challenged today, but can't find anything that's even remotely relevant.
Hoping to get some feedback and see if the company is possibly represented at this Eastec so I can scoot to chat a bit.

Thank You

I am not sure about the terminology, but believe it's called something like single point grinding.

I know for a fact that a while back at Eastec ( when it was much much bigger with far more exhibitors ) I saw and drooled over
a relatively small OD grinder ( perhaps 6 or 8" swing ) that was designed specifically for grinding profiles.
It had a fully indexable spindle for C axis capability, tiltable wheel for thread grinding etc.
Similar to a cam grinder ? there's one from Taiwan that looks okay, but I don't know about the tilting wheel. I can search for the name if that's what you have in mind.

Well, not sure.
Do cam grinders need the function of a C axis?
Also, don't see much use of a tiltable head for cams except for maybe as a single axis ( possibly B? )

Well, not sure.
Do cam grinders need the function of a C axis?
If you mean the workhead, yes. They have to time the slide with the work. CNC ones don't work like the tilting-head Storm-Vulcans, they slide the wheel in and out in time with the rotation of the part.

Also, don't see much use of a tiltable head for cams except for maybe as a single axis ( possibly B? )
The wheel, you mean ? Yeah, that part I don't know. Would have to look, they might make similar models that do that. Or they could put the head from Machine A (thread grinder) onto the base from Machine B (cam grinder) to get both. They looked pretty nice or I wouldn't bother to mention it.

If you mean the workhead, yes. They have to time the slide with the work. CNC ones don't work like the tilting-head Storm-Vulcans, they slide the wheel in and out in time with the rotation of the part.

The wheel, you mean ? Yeah, that part I don't know. Would have to look, they might make similar models that do that. Or they could put the head from Machine A (thread grinder) onto the base from Machine B (cam grinder) to get both. They looked pretty nice or I wouldn't bother to mention it.

Well yes, they do need to time each other, but the workhead still rotates with a fixed ( or controlled ) speed and the axis is what locks to it.
On the one I saw the workhead was a true C-axis with a full back and forth rotation, commanded as A in degrees.
They were grinding squares and flats on a shaft just as one would do it on a lathe.

Haas grinder makes cylindrical grinders for medical implants, turbine blades and other non-circular parts. This is a German company.

One of their medical implant grinders has shown up at least twice at auction over the last 12 months in the US. I think this was a Ross Dove auction. The last time around the high bid was $75,000. I do not know if it actually sold.

You might also try doing an internet search for PEEL GRINDING. This is a related process. There are a number of companies making machines for this type of grinding.

Robert

Robert, Thank You!!!

Haas is actually at Eastec this year! ( not the Oxnard Haas! )

The Peel grind search also brought up Junker and Rollomatic as a result.

Rollomatic is also at Eastec!

Not sure what you want to grind.
The Hass grinders mention above are not The Hass milling people's machine.
Not much these type machines won't grind.
HAAS Multigrind(R) Grinding a Hob Cutter - YouTube
United Grinding has fancy form grinders from Ewag, Walter, and others.
Wendt and Anca also make form grinding machines of various types.
All of these are very expensive pieces. Think stripped low capability entry level at over $250,000 with $500-$750 the norm.
Member AlfreadLyon posted some video here of grinding forms and profiles on a conventional 4 axis mill.
Bob

Well yes, they do need to time each other, but the workhead still rotates with a fixed ( or controlled ) speed and the axis is what locks to it.
That's how a conventional cam grinder works but from what I saw, not on these. Because the wheel load changes so drastically as you go around a cam, a smart cnc grinder will run the work as if it were an axis. But that's just from watching it, didn't get to see source to the executive. Wouldn't understand it if I did :)

They were grinding squares and flats on a shaft just as one would do it on a lathe.
I think you could do that on these as well - they ground a hex in the middle of the camshaft - but the Haas (German) sounds much more like what you want.

Ive programmed and ran a Haas multigrind we have at the day gig.
This video shows a cpm15v part that is +-.0002" on the ground bits.

However, when I think of FORM grinding, I picture in line grinding a gear tooth, for example.
The haas can do just about whatever you can imagine.
Not cheap.
For 5 axis grinding, you better have experience with something like NX, which Haas recommends.

Sweet machine, the software that comes loaded on the machine is handy as hell.

Back