What's new
What's new

copper bonded diamond wheel what can i use to dress it

If the wheel is Electroplated, then new or reapplied coating. If in a matrix use a dressing stick of about the same grit to dress it.

Many electro-chemical wheels are copper bonded. A break dresser can be used to true them up..Often they act too hard for normal carbide grinding (non electro chemical)..A green stick can be used to clear the copper below the diamonds but dressing often is needed to make then grind easy and free cutting.

Electro-chemical is running an electric current through salt water to grind carbide with less loss of wheel..

I believe that "electro-chemical" wheels do not have any diamond in them. The process is pure electro-erosion, like in EDM. Practically, electrolysis.

Paolo

I believe that "electro-chemical" wheels do not have any diamond in them. The process is pure electro-erosion, like in EDM. Practically, electrolysis.

Paolo

I was using "electro-chemical" SG wheels back in the 60s and large face EC wheels in the 80s ..think they were 18" or better..They did have diamonds..when the in feed exceeded the electric arc the wheel would hit the part so needed diamonds to still cut and not stall the spindle..trick was to feed short of hitting the diamonds.
Machines had an amp meter and so when the motor started drawing more amps the feed had to be reduced. After a few increased amps the feed rate could be determined just short of that. yes it changed with the size of the part.

Wheels acted very hard so did not free cut when the ekectric was not on or when the arc space was not maintained.

Not sure what you need or maybe are asking.
Brown colored diamond grinding wheels are copper bonded. You dress them like all others.
We use cooper bonds mostly in finer grits where a corner needs to be held but at least half my wheels are this.
It pulls out heat better than green colored wheels.
It is a copper filler in the normal resin bond case but called a copper bonded wheel as opposed to silicon carbide or other fillers.
Brake controlled truing device is my choice for any dressable diamond wheel. Plated wheels should never be dressed.
Bob

Here is a patent on a copper resin wheel that explains some reasoning ....as Bob mentioned they often can hold diamonds better and can act a little harder ..
Patent US389937 - Resin bonded diamond wheels with copper and silicon carbide fillers - Google Patents

Around 1975 they also took some bad stuff out of plastic diamond wheels with finding better plastics..good for that ..lucky my lungs are still in good shape..

We had some old timers who would get hopping mad that I would put in a dust mask when the blowers were down and we still had to grind parts..

Back