What's new
What's new

Cylindrical and surface grinding shop rate

jonathan2jones

Plastic
Grind prices

Are there industry standards for shop rates for grinding cylindrical and surface? Tolerances would be to .00015 on CNC machines. Lot sizes 150 pcs..

Last edited:
JJ Really!! Don't you think that there may be other subjects that matter, is the part 6 oz or 6 tons, is it 2mm long or 2 meters long, 1 feature or a dozen. ID, OD Material, how hard
Get a grip man.

.0002 is the norm, for grinding to .00015 would add a premium to theses estimates…

I would say not by the job but by the estimated or actual hours. For a minimum on a manual machine in the garage shop $20 an hour A CNC in the garage perhaps $50.

A manual machine in a dedicated shop perhaps manual at $50 and a CNC perhaps $70 an hour.
In a better shop that pays workers $25 or more perhaps double.

Dressing radius or angles and needing a special wheel would have to be considered at wheel cost loss. Purchase of odd or special holding devices would add costs. Yes and as mentioned size and material matters, using steady would add costs.. Carbide or SS might be double the same job in steel.

A simple one hand held set between centers part with one grind in steel the piece rate might be 5 to 15 an hour.

IMHO.

One can't go by hourly rates as speeds may vary along with other things.
One shop may be a buck a minute which would be low end and another may be 2 bucks a minute but 4 times as fast at doing the same job so actually cheaper per part.
If paid by the hour by my customer I would be incentivized to slow everything down to a crawl.
Nowadays on a normal sized part +/-.00015 is not bad and some places can hard turn to this which is way faster than grinding.

If you are looking for outside sources send out quotes, don't try to estimate the time it will take as every shop will be different.
Mari tool can whip off a HSK holder grind in 1/10th the time it would take a standard cnc grinding shop.
Bob

One can't go by hourly rates as speeds may vary along with other things.
One shop may be a buck a minute which would be low end and another may be 2 bucks a minute but 4 times as fast at doing the same job so actually cheaper per part.
If paid by the hour by my customer I would be incentivized to slow everything down to a crawl.
Nowadays on a normal sized part +/-.00015 is not bad and some places can hard turn to this which is way faster than grinding.

If you are looking for outside sources send out quotes, don't try to estimate the time it will take as every shop will be different.
Mari tool can whip off a HSK holder grind in 1/10th the time it would take a standard cnc grinding shop.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back