What's new
What's new

Debur Baffles (Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers)

sosostu

Plastic
My shop drills a lot of baffle plates - Basically 1/2" CS/SS, up to 100" OD. We stack the plate to roughly 7" or so, weld, setup and drill. For example, a 50" baffle may have 2000 3/4" tube holes (.759 typically). The drilling process leave a small burr that can damage the outside of a tube.

I need a machine to quickly debur the part, top and bottom, and then move onto the next. In my example, I have 14 plates, 1/2" thick each, and then I drill 2000 3/4" tube holes in each stack, so when I break apart the stack I create 28,000 holes to debur, top and bottom. I have seen home brew machines that use a gantry and several motors with wire brushes on them and the plate is conveyed across the brushes. Looking to buy something, not build something.

Any thoughts would be great.

rotoblast machine with stainless shot ?

Could be purchased with a conveyor feed as well.

Well, there's always the obvious -- large-capacity VMC. Benefit of that path is you no longer have to weld and break apart stacks! Drill, chamfer, backchamfer, move, repeat 1999 times. Swap plates.

You could probe for Z as the drilling and chamfering progresses across the plate to accommodate plates not sitting flat.

Might need a few intermediate mid-plate holddowns as you get closer to the middle and the drill wants to pick up the plate.

Regards.

Welding and breaking apart stacks is much quicker than drilling individual plates. Additionally, that thin of plate tends to warp with that many holes. Also, when you break them apart and go to insert the 2,000 tubes, you don't have alignment issues from hole to hole.

I have several large capacity VMC's already. I need them drilling all day, it debuting parts.

I cannot damage the surface finish on the inside of the drilled holes, to any post process media blast is a no go.

Back