What's new
What's new

Deckel SO Drill Sharpening Attachment

Dumpster_diving

Cast Iron
Just finished restoring a 1960's Deckel SO Single Lip Tool and Cutter Grinder.

Next I'm looking to add drill bit sharpening to its' capability but I can't justify the $1k price tag for the stock Deckel attachment. Grizzly (sorry for the mention) sells a similar attachment for their tool and cutter grinder for $225 (model #T21509). Problem is I'm admittedly cheap and prefer to either buy my tooling used or make it myself. So...

1) Is there anyone looking to sell a used Deckel SO drill grinding attachment at a ridiculous discount or a Grizzly attachment at a modest discount? Trying to get into the $125-150 range.

2) Is there anyone who has either of those attachments who wouldn't mind taking a half-dozen clear pictures of their attachment and posting them so I can fabricate my own version?

They look like simple mechanisms. Basically rods with a couple of clamps attached to a socket with a pivot pin that fits into the stock work head collet.

Thanks in advance.

No replies so I'll amplify the plea for anyone with a Deckel, Vertex, or Grizzly single lip tool and cutter grinder twist drill grinding attachment that wouldn't mind taking a few detailed photos?

Also, could use a few extra wheel arbors/hubs (the Deckel version that fit on the older tapered spindle). Anyone interested in selling a couple?

Thanks in advance.

I am using the SO to sharpen drills without any attachments and getting better results. You can take a look at my post form a couple years ago:
"Sharpening split point drills with Deckel SO"
You may be interest as well in my end-mill grinding on SO.

the challenge imo is you're holding by the lands, which given the helix angle, means you need a very long surface making up the work holding device. Except for small diameter drills, most collets aren't long enough.

While not a direct response to your Q, I made the V block arrangement shown below, complete with micrometer lip adjustment, for use on a T&CG and have shown photos below. Perhaps there are some ideas there you could use. For drills over 1", even the V block isn't long enough for a solid register and I usually lay in a longer piece of AL angle. It will do though a large range of sizes. There are irrc some ok photos of the Deckel attachment out on the web, takes a bit googling and hopefully they are victims of the photobucket mess.

btw, also have a Deckel, but this seemed the easier way to come at it

Z7KBJdd.jpg

wiof8Rr.jpg

MccVuMw.jpg

r4GRx5j.jpg

TGegenhart- Thank you for the suggestion. I considered posting in buy/sell but since I'm open to just pictures of the attachment I figure it's six of one half dozen of the other which thread to post in.

billzweig- Thank you for the suggestions. I have been looking closely at the 'Sharpening split point drill bits with Deckel SO" thread and that looks like a really viable option as well. Was it ER11 collets that worked well for you (post says ER16 but I believe ER16 has a 3/4" shank and I think the largest deckel collet to grip the er toolholder would be 5/8")? If ER11, did that size maximize the range of drill sizes you're able to accommodate? And thanks for the suggestion of the end-mill grinding thread. I hadn't seen that one before but will go back and read that closely.

Much appreciated.

I put together a setup very similar to the one Mcguyver posted pictures of. But instead of spending a boat load of hours fabricating the multi position base, I found one on eBay for about $100 and made the drill fixture out of a piece of angle iron. I also set up a second one on the same grinder dedicated to splitting the points. Works awesome and very versatile.

I put together a setup very similar to the one Mcguyver posted pictures of. But instead of spending a boat load of hours fabricating the multi position base, I found one on eBay for about $100

I'd probably do the same today. I built mine before the cheap chinese stuff was everywhere, or least before I was aware of it. A local dealer had a used univise and wanted 500 so it was an easier call and I had more time than money back then.

The point to the OP wasn't the univise but the V block arrangement - the Deckel provides all the tilt and nod functionality, I tend put more than the minimalist effort into tools I build to hopefully end up with greater functionality. So there's features like I case hardened and ground the v block, made a micrometer lip/tooth rest, end stop, all adjustable and locked with split cotters and so forth. I think it makes it easier/better to use, but there's personal preference in that, nothing wrong with a simpler version.

Much appreciated Mcgyver (and other commenters)-

This approach seems perfect and the pictures of your set-up look like they've got more than enough detail to get me on my way.

Thank you all.

This is my setup: one fixture dedicated to doing the cutting edge and one for splitting points. Can also dress boring bars, brazed carbide and just about anything you can hold in it

Attachments

• ABA17D1D-C42C-411E-8A0E-7D2A2107D51E.jpg
    ABA17D1D-C42C-411E-8A0E-7D2A2107D51E.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 387
  • 0E3C58A7-C63A-46F0-BDC2-8A8CA1166192.jpg
    0E3C58A7-C63A-46F0-BDC2-8A8CA1166192.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 535

Back