What's new
What's new

Diamond NIB evaluation

It's pretty dull. It can be re pointed but usually only larger diamonds are worthwhile to re point. Sharp diamonds and correct dressing will make your life much easier.

I learned that dull diamonds don't work, not in love, not in grinding. If mounted in a 90 degree holder, you could mount it in a 60 degree holder, or toss it and get a new one. Even a cheap India rock is better than that one.

I "appears" to me like it as only been turned 2 times, 180 deg to the first use.

Many times you can keep turning and find a "good" spot.

It appears you are using it at a 12 to 15 deg angle.

Give it a 90 deg turn and see what happens.

If it is hard to hear the dress, you got a sharp spot!

The guy grinding has been grinding for many years and he always takes off between .002" and .003" on his first pass when he dresses. In the book it says not to take more than .001" per pass. I ordered some new diamonds so we will see what happens. I think he is just crush dressing. Taking .003" off with that dull diamond cant be good.

Should be set at perhaps 15 to 25* angle to the wheel in holder .. find the sharpest point and face that point to wheel.

Be sure the holder is not convex at bottom.. even a three pad grind bottom can be good on a SG chuck for a more solid dress.

Agree with Cash the contact angle is not enough to produce facts... soon your new diamond will look the same..

Good to look at it with a loop to find sharpest facet...good to find .020 or sharper point if you can.

Back in the day diamonds were re-set in the shank.

Back