What's new
What's new

DoAll DH -612 surface grinder

Bjghotrods

Plastic
Hey there all, I purchased a nice DoAll DH-612 surface grinder, good shape just missing the spindle nut. Anyone have any idea where I might locate one at its called a spindle nose nut part number 14-0655A , machine serial number is 138-703363. Any help would be greatly appreciated. only thing holding me up from using it! Ben

I have a DoAll DH612 as well, and it just uses a standard 9/16 or 5/8 left hand flange nut. I'm not at the shop to measure it, but you should be able to easily. It's not a special thread.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Agree a higher class nut with a slot ground perhaps 1/8 and then a home made wrench would do nicely.
May be 9/16.. 5/8 like spYder mentioned or 1/2

Like I always say hand spin a setting spindle a number of times before running up to speed..Then a jog start is worth the few seconds every time.

Agree a higher class nut with a slot ground perhaps 1/8 and then a home made wrench would do nicely.
May be 9/16.. 5/8 like spYder mentioned or 1/2

Like I always say hand spin a setting spindle a number of times before running up to speed..Then a jog start is worth the few seconds every time.
I've always wondered, why do they have that slot?

I always spin and then jog it up to speed. My spindle sometimes makes some noise on startup, but after a few seconds of jog it quits.

The guy who does not do that will find one day the spindle will have a hick-up and the spindle will be shot.

"Oh! it was likely to go anyways he will say.".Yes but It may have gone another 10 years with not that wrong start.

I used to work with that guy...

Doall had what were called "cool pore wheels".Coolant was injected into the outer spindle washer when running and it flew out of the diameter of the wheel.It did a good job of keeping your lungs cool.

Doall had what were called "cool pore wheels".Coolant was injected into the outer spindle washer when running and it flew out of the diameter of the wheel.It did a good job of keeping your lungs cool.
I have factory literature showing the "cool grind" attachment. If anybody wants pictures of the book, please message me. It's a neat but incredibly messy solution.

You don't need special wheels for cool-grind. Though it probably works best with relatively high porosity wheels.

What DoALL provided on their wheels was blotters with punched holes all around the rim, so the coolant could get through without removing or shaving the blotters. OTOH (Not in front of the machine to read it at the moment) there are directions on the Grinders themselves WTTE "remove blotters from wheels before mounting when cool grinding is to be used".

I use it and find it effective.

Creep feed was an option on the DoALLs, along with all the accessories including crush roll dresser, etc. Coolant induced through the wheel was one way to get it down to the face of the cut, constant flow, and un-interrupted.

DoALLs have a very nice set of coolant features including cool-grind, and regular flood, or both.

smt

PS - there is some allusion that DoALL "cool grind" might be messier than other methods of liquid cooling. It might possibly be a little more messy than auxiliary mist. But it works much better. It is as messy or less than flood, assuming factory containment components are present and adjusted.

smt

Hey there all, I purchased a nice DoAll DH-612 surface grinder, good shape just missing the spindle nut. Anyone have any idea where I might locate one at its called a spindle nose nut part number 14-0655A , machine serial number is 138-703363. Any help would be greatly appreciated. only thing holding me up from using it! Ben

Thank you all for the info, this all helps a ton! As usual you guys are awesome! Thanks Ben

Back