What's new
What's new

End Mill Sharpener

goofycat

Plastic
Need input on what is the best kind of endmill sharpening set up. Looked at the Darex sharpeners but heard they are not very rigid. Also there are the air bearing and plain bearing fixtures that mount to surface grinders. And then there are the plain type that has the three posts that guide the sleeve. This is not to be a high use item, just to sharpen milling cutters that are dulled so I don't have to send them out or buy new. Kind of like sharpening drill bits before putting them back in the drawer. So what is the best type for that purpose from ones with experience. Thanks.

The most versatile machine is, of course, Cincinnati Tool & Cutter Grinder.
For small end mills I am using a simple attachment I have made for my Deckel SO.

The problem I encountered trying to do this is setup. If you can afford to have a machine permanently or semi-permanently setup to do one task, then its worth it. I bought all the fancy stuff for sharpening end mills and found that for onesy twosys it just wasn't worth it. I do have a cutter grinder setup to sharpen drills that I almost never break down. For that it is fine. I just adjust the tip angle and away we go. If I were to do that with end mills, by the time I remembered how to set each operation and went through the various stages, I would have forgotten or lost interest in why I needed the end mill. I have a plentiful number of new and resharps that when a end mill gets dull, it goes in a can and I go get another. When the can is full, it goes to a grinding shop. That way I can focus on why I am in the shop.

Tom

Back