What's new
What's new

Forever filter Landis OD what the ......?

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
Tried hard to rotate the knob that I think is supposed to clean the filter.
I cant figure out how it works ....where is the oil flow path and especially ......where does.the gunk go that the wipers scrape off ?
I suppose it needs to be disaambled and each alternating plate cleaned......

20170320_192429.jpg

The gunk the wipers scrape off flows down in-front of the wipers as your pic shows, Sat that type of filer soon gums up, theres so much contact area between the plates and scrapers it only takes a little stiction to really bind up solid. Plus side is its a simple tare down - rebuild.

Filters a stack of discs - donut style normally with bolts just locating them in the middle. Oil flows from the outside and up through the middle, the filter or the scrapers rotate to remove the crud.

So long as they see frequent movement they work damn near forever with out plugging like a typical filter element will. Disadvantage is they don't really collect the crap and you don't get a very high level of filtration.

Digging in and wiping off the crud from the individual pecies I see some rust on the sliding surfaces....

Its a few more hours to clean all these thin pieces, I am wondering even with scotch brite-ing each one is this rotating self cleaning device

is going to turn ? 225 plates each one straddling a wiper 450 sliding surfaces against pushed tight and a 3" dia

hand turn knob ?

I am wondering what else might work and if an adaption could be made to use a more standard replacable element

filter ?

20170321_185654.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

If you can port a line from the machine to the "outside world", you might be well served to make a dual filter setup with valving so you can swap out one unit while leaving the other flowing to keep the machine running if you use it a lot.

Having a roughing and finishing filter path may be worthwhile too, but if you've lived with the relative low performance of the current setup then maybe it's overkill. I use a kludged dual filtration method with my mills, a 1" thick pad that is magnetically held over the drain that stops the big stuff, then a spin-on cartridge after the pump. Coolant, not oil, so the pump has an easier time until the cartridge is really clogged.

Fine pad and DA sander will sort that lot in but a few minutes. They should not be tight to turn at all once rebuilt. Hell should border line spin freely.

For the level of filtration they offer its a very good filter system - method. Especially for filtering a lot of impurities out. Most element filters are not cleanable hence have a lot lot higher operating and disposal cost. Most places would consider a oil and metal particle filter element once used as hazardous waste, hence there’s some potential high disposal costs there.

happy to report the filter is back together and turns freely. It was a lotta work...there is about 700 little pieces of metal in that thing. While oiling each plate as they were reassembled, I happened to say to the guy helping me , that I wished I hadsome of that light Starrett Oil they sell in yellow 4 oz bottles, its like 3-in one oil but doesnt smell bad like like 3 in oneoil.
He mentioned "Mineral Oil" its light viscosity, and clear as water and no odor..sold in grocery stores with the emema medicine.

So I got a bottle and finnished up with it... Hope the little bit used doesnt cause the whole 25n gallons of system hydraulic oil to curdle up or somthing

Dave

Back