General questions about rotary surface grinder - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After reading what Cash said, I now understand what Motion is doing. Motion is keeping a constant load on the grinding wheel so the wheel will break down at the same rate all the time (Most of the time). Then he is using the Carbide Rod and Acoustics Sensor as a "In process Gauge". Is this right Ken? Also what acoustic sensor are you using? My Kellenberger uses this company Elaso. I love it. It plot a graph and I can see wheel wear, out off roundness in parts and so on. I like to you on the Dress so that I know that the wheel is dressed straight across and does not have a hole in the wheel.

2. Likes sable liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Aside, does anyone to a profilometer check on a chuck finish, and does it matter since this gage is a very short stroke.
    Would not poopy or high numbers be okay if it made a plane and not a bit of a cone or sometimes cup? (which these machines love to make)
    Is shiny, looks nice and low numbers better? Is crosshatch always good?
    I'm not so much about looking pretty anymore, seen this go bad on these style grinders.
    I had one of my engineering co-op/students do his senior year thesis on this problem as he was "rocket scientist, straight A" smart and it seemed like a good challenge to throw at him.
    Bob
    Not that I’ve ever seen. OTOH, I did work with GE power generation & they would check parts that were done with these machines BOTH WAYS with a profilometer… Mostly wanted what the print called for & no more, no less. Usually grinding coupling spacers it was within .0005” size & then they would long travel the profilometer to see if there was a long wave going on (cortland chucks can do this pretty easy & the user thinks it’s just variability, but a .0001” wave could bust you out of tolerance). The finish was 64-32 commercial grind spec, they actually preferred a duller look. Personally I never really wanted the chuck too polished looking either, it doesn't add anything to me.

@ Cash, I agree with post #20 & (you do some nifty machine fix-ups BTW!)… From the description in the first post I gather it’s a solid stone like goeckel’s, the cortland (like) chucks can load but I can’t imagine any way they’d build pressure under the rock & float it. Motion’s working pretty hard to improve over OEM’s intentions, pretty cool I think.

Good luck,
    Matt

4. Likes cash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a Berger machine - the grinding wheels are 450mm OD / and roughly 350mm ID and from new to worn out you get about 150mm of wheel breakdown.

We are using a Schmitt acoustical sensor mounted to a vertical linear actuator of our design with 1/20um resolution feedback. The downfeed axis also will be fitted with a 1/20um resolution linear scale as soon as it comes in.

We have run our calibration routine a few times now grinding simple flat stock coupons and setting up offsets. So far it looks good. Lots more code to test in the coming days.

6. Likes cash liked this post