What's new
What's new

Grinding Carbide

skipd1

Cast Iron
I am looking for an inexpensive 6" Diamond cup wheel for my surface grinder to sharpen lathe carbide inserts and carbide inserts for a hand scraper. I'm looking at something like this: (15mm. Hole 32mm. Tupe: 12A2-2 Dish Diamond Grinding Wheel 125/1mm 15 Grit | eBay). My question is 150 grit fine enough? I don't see many other options with grit sizes above 150 grit. I also have some diamond lapidary discs that mount on a bench grinder of 240 grit for roughing and 1500/3000 for polishing. I'm just starting to learn about scraping and I want to be able to sharpen, shape and finish those inserts without a big investment. Thanks

skipd1

I am looking for an inexpensive 6" Diamond cup wheel for my surface grinder to sharpen lathe carbide inserts and carbide inserts for a hand scraper. I'm looking at something like this: (15mm. Hole 32mm. Tupe: 12A2-2 Dish Diamond Grinding Wheel 125/1mm 15 Grit | eBay). My question is 150 grit fine enough? I don't see many other options with grit sizes above 150 grit. I also have some diamond lapidary discs that mount on a bench grinder of 240 grit for roughing and 1500/3000 for polishing. I'm just starting to learn about scraping and I want to be able to sharpen, shape and finish those inserts without a big investment. Thanks

skipd1

150 is awfully rough for grinding carbide. You can shape fast with 240 and lap with 1500 or 3000. i bought 6" lapidary disks from amazon for about 10 bucks a pop. run them slow (100 to 200 rpm) and lube with windex.

dee
;-D

Back