What's new
What's new

Grinding clearance advise

skipd1

Cast Iron
I have a Harig 6x12 surface grinder and I want to grind a vise fixed jaw but I need to have enough clearance for my hub to get by the vise base. I am looking at a recessed or straight cup grinding wheel. I tried a type 11 curved dish but it didn't allow enough clearance for the arbor hub and nut. I am looking at a type 32A or 38A 46 grit wheel. The ones that I think have enough clearance (about 5/8") are 1 1/4" wide. Any advise here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Skipd1

Why does it need to be a dish or cup wheel? I would use a regular straight 7" wheel, 1/2 or 3/4 thick and relieve the side.

Hub will hit the base of the vise while standing vertical. If I understand, he does not want to grind with the side of the wheel, which is wise. Takes either a Cup or wide wheel with a deep recess.
I ground a "U-Grind" vise a few years ago, and used a 4 inch cup wheel, IIRC.

Hub will hit the base of the vise while standing vertical. If I understand, he does not want to grind with the side of the wheel, which is wise. Takes either a Cup or wide wheel with a deep recess.
I ground a "U-Grind" vise a few years ago, and used a 4 inch cup wheel, IIRC.

Ahh, ok, now that I've reread the op a couple of times I see what you guys mean. You are right, I would not have approached it that way, I was thinking side wheeling. Why would that be a problem though? As long as the grinder is in good shape it will produce a very nearly square shoulder.

Ahh, ok, now that I've reread the op a couple of times I see what you guys mean. You are right, I would not have approached it that way, I was thinking side wheeling. Why would that be a problem though? As long as the grinder is in good shape it will produce a very nearly square shoulder.
I squared all of the outside surfaces, as well as the bottom floor, then stood the vise upright in the air, against the rail and ground with a cup wheel with a flat land dressed. I let it sit for a long while before I made the final pass.. The jaw face is a very critical vise feature.

I have a 1" Norton recessed wheel, there is enough clearance for the nut, but the hub is proud about .080, If you added a .100 spacer on the back or the wheel you would be good to go.

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought too. It appears that I need at least a recessed wheel with about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance. Its nice to get some reinforcement in my thinking.
Thanks again

Skipd1

Back