What's new
What's new

Grinding Wheel for mild Steel

Michael C

Cast Iron
Been 40+ years since I have operated a surface grinder, and that was only occasionally. I finally have a machine headed my way for home shop. I have a Norton 5SG 46 J on the way based on recommendations here. I was wondering to get as fine a finish as possible if there were another choice in wheel, maybe a harder wheel in higher grit? Any insights would be appreciated. Machine is a Chevalier 618SP. If anyone is wondering why I am grinding A36, its what I used to make the base of a model engine, It already has hours of work in it and I would like a great finish , or at least better finish than I got using a facemill on BP.

Thank you
michael

Just about any aluminum oxide wheel in the 36-60 grit and H-J hardness ranges can be used for mild steel with the correct feeds and speeds. I'd go for a 46I, it's better to go softer than harder. I use a 46h currently, and that's a but too soft for mild steel but perfect for tool steels.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Agree with Spyderedge, for A36 any wheel will about do. You will get a better finish by closing up your dress, cross the diamond slower when you are dressing the wheel.

A36 is very soft and a soft wheel will get eaten up fast by this material.

Agree with Spyderedge, for A36 any wheel will about do. You will get a better finish by closing up your dress, cross the diamond slower when you are dressing the wheel.

A36 is very soft and a soft wheel will get eaten up fast by this material.
Cash, could you please briefly explain when to use a closed or open dress? I use closed to hold a corner, but I'd be interested to know if there are other uses.

Cash, could you please briefly explain when to use a closed or open dress? I use closed to hold a corner, but I'd be interested to know if there are other uses.

Speed at which you cross the wheel over your diamond. An open or fast dress will cut free but leave a rough finish. A slow or closed dress will leave a nice finish.

Back