What's new
What's new

Guidance on vfd for a Parker Majestic No 2

PmGRacer

Aluminum
Good day gentlemen. I recently brought home a Parker Majestic No 2 surface grinder. I am seeking help on sizing a vfd for the grinder. Here is a pic of the motor tag:

d8c9b5fca54e2e90aabdeb5e1f9dae5e.jpg

I am going to wire it for 220v, however I cannot discern the FLA rating for the motor. It looks like I can use a 1 to 1 1/2 hp ABB ACS 150 Drive possibly. I already have 2 ACS 150’s one on lathe and one on mill and will probably purchase the same for the grinder. I talked to the people at Galco Industrial( they are close to my location) and they also recommended a MTE dv Sentry filter. Any guidance would be grate![emoji2]

Here are a couple pics of the grinder. It is an older model, I cannot find a date on it. It has a Taft Pearce perm mag chuck dated 10/61 however I’m not sure it is original. It came with a coolant pump but I do not plan to use it. I do plan on using a Little Giant Pump and a 30 gallon drum for coolant duties as I will be grinding both carbide and steel.

5030d677c86be1ae08e6d55f73caf231.jpg

300236cfbe114b9311a46261812df429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the nameplate, FLA (Full Load Amperes) is 2.2 Amps at 220V, and 1.1 Amps at 440V. Any reasonable 1 or 1.5 HP VFD should work fine.

I’m thinking the Amps listed are FLA but I am not sure. Both the mill and lathe motors were very clear on the FLA, this one however is not. I am not an electrician I just know enough to power up my equipment and not damage the motors.[emoji846] Nothing like baptism by fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back