What's new
What's new

Gun drill sharpening...

twocan

Plastic
Can anyone help me pick out the best dresser for this wheel? Also can you break the wheel number down for me?
The company i work for bought a "Hyper Tool" universal gun drill sharpening fixture. It came with a cup-type grinding wheel GF-950-DW-180
Gun drill sharpening is new to us.

Are you sure that the fixture came with a wheel GF-950-DW-180?

According to standard designation
Accurate Diamond Tool Corporation
it is not the proper shape of the wheel.

180 stands for the grit size, which is suitable for rough grinding. It your want to make just a hole, it is OK. However, if you want to make a fine hole (surface finish, shape, straightness, etc.), you may consider using a finer grit. It also depends on the carbide grade of your gundrills, coolant type and its clearness and many other parameters of the whole gundrilling system. Note also that the holding of the drill in the Hyper tool fixture is far from perfect.

gun drill fixture

While working in the toolroom for our company I ground gundrills up to 3 inch
and as small as a magnifying glass would permit me to measure.

2 setups were used, the simpler one being a tilt and roll fixture. The gundrills were ground on old cinci tool grinder. Norton 120 CBN cup wheel was used, carefull not to get it too hot. as we did not use coolant. We never dressed the wheel with anything but a stick that matched the wheel grit size.

The second fixture was a rotary head tilt/roll with a collet holding the drill head with in the fixture.

This wasn't the latest or greatest setup but it has worked for over 30 years for us.

We had specialized angles for our material ( engineered copper, aluminum and be alloys.

Last edited:

Back