What's new
What's new

Oddball grinder ad

metlmunchr

Diamond
About a month ago I saw an ad for a grinder near Charlotte, NC. It was a surface grinder with travels of 8" x 120", or something near that. Wouldn't have thought much about it, but the ad said it was made by Moore Special Tool Co which would be the jig bore and jig grinder people. Just curious if anyone knows of Moore making surface grinders. With 10 ft of travel, it sure seemed like a far stretch for someone who makes the sort of things Moore is known for.

Yes, Moore made some dressers. that mounted on the spindle housing, like the Engis ones did, and had a pantograph to trace user-supplied templates (10 to 1, IIRC) There was also a crush dress feature on some. I think it was called "Panto-Crush"
Years ago, I bought one of the dressers at a dealer. A friend in the broach business liked it better than I did, and was pleased to buy it. I was told that the dressers cost over 20K, new..

99.99% chance Moore did not make the grinder, though.

99.99% chance Moore did not make the grinder, though.

My thought too Mark. I assumed the seller saw something on the machine that said Moore and figured they made the whole thing. Was just curious if some of the brass at Moore showed up one day and decided to make something unlike anything they'd ever made before, and managed to produce one of 'em before the guys with the straightjackets showed up at the executive offices :D

Back