What's new
What's new

Help-Cincinnati Heald ID Grinder

beezerlm

Plastic
Does anyone know a mechanic familiar with heald ID grinders? We have a hydraulic problem with ours and everyone we called so far has failed to fix it. Its a powerful machine we would like to use and the problem is probably simple we just can't find anyone who knows these machines. We are in Toledo OH.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

I believe the very best people to talk to about this would be....the guys who built the machine.

Service Network Inc. was a company started by a couple of the chief engineers form Heald Machine shortly after Heald Machine was closed by Cincinnati Milacron. They employ (almost exclusively) more ex-Heald service reps, engineers, assembly & test technicians and more. They had also secured much of the tooling, drawings and spare parts from Heald Machine. Their specialty is (or was) in re-engineering the CF (Controlled Force) line of bearing grinders, though they know all of the line. BTW, I was a field service rep for them for a couple of years, traveling all over the country to install and service the full line. But I digress...

When the economy tanked, Service Network Inc. was in trouble. EDAC Industries of CT bought them out, but retained the facility (a few miles from the old Heald Machine factory) and most of the staff. I'd give them a call, they're really good people.

Service Network International

BTW, which model do you have trouble with? I've serviced many, including 171, 272, 273A (my favorite), 74, CF, EF71 and more. Just curious which one you have.

You're quite welcome. Wish you were closer, I'd look at it myself. Those 271's have one of the best feedboxes ever made. The wet valves under that front plate of the machine for table travel are very serviceable too. SNI has all the parts and the expertise to help you.

BTW, when I was in field service for Heald, one of my first assignments was to rebuild a group of (7) model 0-CF70's at the New Departure Hyatt bearing plant near you in Sandusky. The machines were only about 2 years old, but being a newly-developed model they didn't have all the bugs out for 24/7 production. Those were the first grinders to use Thompson round bar ways, and they weren't up to the task.

My job there was to do a complete, total teardown of the machines, replace the ways, align it, then get them re-qualified to make the new sealed wheel bearings for GM's Chevy Citation and similar cars. I thought I was well-paid at $7.15 an hour to do this. The UAW guy sweeping the floor behind me was earning $16, and he was the lowest rate in the place.

Everything's gone now. Probably that plant too.

I thought I was well-paid at $7.15 an hour to do this. The UAW guy sweeping the floor behind me was earning $16, and he was the lowest rate in the place.
I know the feeling...
I was a Cincinnati serviceman and installing a Hydrotel in a GM plant in Mich in the 60's...
This was a very new building and the guys were still laying the wood block floor near me. One fellow said to me, wow you must make a lot of money doing that and then he told me how much he was making ....THAT MUCH!!!!! I almost asked him if he had another hatchet and needed some help...

Back