What's new
What's new

How much power do i need in a buffer?

pcm81

Cast Iron
I am looking at Baldor buffers. Currently i have a crappy $60 3/4HP buffer with 5/8" arbors. The maximum power that this cheap buffer delivers is fine for my needs, however i don't like how loud it is. Seems very unbalanced at high rpm. I am looking at baldor buffers but can't decide on how much power I need, since I think my current cheap xtremepower buffer is not a fair representation of 3/4HP buffer. My main goal is to be able to use 8" wheels and the buffer to be quiet. I live in a town-house and am running it in my garage. I want to be able to run the buffer and not bother the neighbours. Also prefer single phase 120V AC hook up. What are my options? I see Baldor 111 1/3-Horsepower 1 Phase Heavy Duty Buffer on amazon for $400 also was considering 3/4hp dual speed for around $700. What are practical differences between 1/4HP, 1/3HP and 3/4HP in terms of noise, torque, usage?

Thanks ahead

I am looking at Baldor buffers. Currently i have a crappy $60 3/4HP buffer with 5/8" arbors. The maximum power that this cheap buffer delivers is fine for my needs, however i don't like how loud it is. Seems very unbalanced at high rpm. I am looking at baldor buffers but can't decide on how much power I need, since I think my current cheap xtremepower buffer is not a fair representation of 3/4HP buffer. My main goal is to be able to use 8" wheels and the buffer to be quiet. I live in a town-house and am running it in my garage. I want to be able to run the buffer and not bother the neighbours. Also prefer single phase 120V AC hook up. What are my options? I see Baldor 111 1/3-Horsepower 1 Phase Heavy Duty Buffer on amazon for $400 also was considering 3/4hp dual speed for around $700. What are practical differences between 1/4HP, 1/3HP and 3/4HP in terms of noise, torque, usage?

Thanks ahead

without knowing what you are buffing any answer is just bloviating. That said I have 3HP 1725 RPM and 12" buffs and it works fine for motorcycle engine side covers and various other large parts.

without knowing what you are buffing any answer is just bloviating. That said I have 3HP 1725 RPM and 12" buffs and it works fine for motorcycle engine side covers and various other large parts.

I am interested in using 6 and 8 inch buffing wheels and i am buffing steel parts varying in size from couple inches to a foot ish. I live in Florida and by polishing my hand tools I help them stay rust-free. Even something like zerust works better on polished surface.

Another option is a v-belt driven buffing head. These tend to be quiet and usually provide better access. Also let you easily get the speeds you want by changing pulleys (or using a 3phase motor and a VFD). And if you're not happy with whatever AC motor you have on hand, pretty cheap to replace it with a larger one. A true 3/4hp motor (not necessarily what you have, if it's a Chinese rated-at-stall model) should be plenty -- even 1/2hp probably fine for cleaning up most tools.

I am interested in using 6 and 8 inch buffing wheels and i am buffing steel parts varying in size from couple inches to a foot ish. I live in Florida and by polishing my hand tools I help them stay rust-free. Even something like zerust works better on polished surface.

You need at least 3/4 hp as I said in your other thread. 1/3 hp Baldor buffer is more for jewlery work and you will not be happy with it. I know the 3/4 hp Baldors are a lot of $ but there worth saveing for.

Another option is a v-belt driven buffing head. These tend to be quiet and usually provide better access. Also let you easily get the speeds you want by changing pulleys (or using a 3phase motor and a VFD). And if you're not happy with whatever AC motor you have on hand, pretty cheap to replace it with a larger one. A true 3/4hp motor (not necessarily what you have, if it's a Chinese rated-at-stall model) should be plenty -- even 1/2hp probably fine for cleaning up most tools.

I have only seen junk import heads in the last years. The old made in USA one I have seen are not much better.

Thanks all for insightful replies. I guess i'll deal with my current buffer for now and save up for 3/4HP Baldor.

Yesterday I saw Eastwood selling 1HP buffer for about $300. Does anyone have experience with those buffers? In a demo video i saw the buffer stand "walking" away from the guy doing the demo. Makes me worried about vibrations on eastwood model vs baldor. Also 1hp eastwood is 3/4" arbor not 5/8th as my current wheels are.

Buffing takes a lot of power and depends on the buffing wheel size and speed.
1/2 HP for 6"
2-5 HP for 12"
5-7 HP for 14"

Have you tried running your machine without the buffs? Is it still noisy? It may be the noise is from poorly centered or unbalanced buffs.

I have a 1/3hp baldor and 3/4 hp griz buffers. The 1/3hp is puny, for jewelry or occasional use as stated above. Bought the griz used ($40), it sounded like a hurricane. when I removed the buffs found they had 1" holes, on the 5/8" arbors. Made some bushings and all is well. While I was at it I rebushed and trued up the flanges. Interesting to find the 5/8" shaft was actually .605, made my bushings accodingly. Even cheap electric motors can run quietly...

Back