What's new
What's new

Humming sound while Grinding

sdahanukar

Plastic
I have a surface grinder, horizontal spindle and receprocating table. While Surface grinding there is a loud humming sound that comes from the machine... Don't know why, have dressed the wheel properly, balanced the grinding wheel..

Could be the hydraulic motor sound…

or a drone of a nearby bagpipe..

OH! India so not likely a bagpipe…but one of these Duet multi-phonic chanting by Tibetan monks - YouTube

You might post the wheel specs..did this just start from a time of not making the sound..what is the part geometry and material..does the sound come when the wheel is not contacting the work..has the dressing diamond been turned to a new facet..is the hydraulic oil low..Is a wheel guard or anything lose..has the grind finish changed since the start of this..can you feel any vibration at the head, spindle, moror or base

It makes the sound when it's in contact with the job (ms plate)... Nothing is loose.. Grinding finish is good.... There is vibration on Spindle motor, but the spindle run out is under 2 micron.. All other parameters like oil, dressing of wheel have been done properly... No vibration is felt on base or machine column

MS plate can sometimes not magnet suck down well and make a chatter noise..how large a chuck, and plate size and thickness?
Is the noise a problem for quality, or just a bother to the shop or operator?..
Have you tried different wheel grades and grit?

QT: [dressing of wheel have been done properly] with a fresh diamond turn?)

Size of the electro magnetic chuck is 1000 X 300 mm. MS Plate is 200 X 800 X 50 mm. Noise is a bother to the shop floor and not for quality... The sound is like a hollow sound while Grinding the job and have tried with different job.. But the sound stays....

If the motor vibrates but the spindle doesn't, there may be a resilient coupling (Lovejoy or similar) between the motor and spindle shafts. If the noise just started, the coupling or its resilient part may be deteriorating and worn.

Dennis

OH! India so not likely a bagpipe…but one of these Duet multi-phonic chanting by Tibetan monks - YouTube

I hear that is only a likely cause near Cashmere, and other parts of north India. Relocating the machine south of Delhi makes it inaudible.

But seriously does it make the noise on all materials or just certain jobs? Did you try to speed up and /or slow down the feed? I am no way an expert in grinding but have a bit of experience with mechanical vibrations. If changing the parameters does not change or eliminate the noise it is likely a worn part in the machine like a pump or drive member. If the noise changes with feed speed, material or wheel change then it is an interaction between the wheel and the workpiece.

good luck in your quest finding it.

dee
;-D

Another test would be to run the table back and forth without any wheel contact and apply some resistance to the table: this should help distinguishing between hydraulic pump or table chatter (e.g. uneven wear of the ways) and spindle/motor coupling (or motor bearings.
The complementary (and likely less conclusive test would be to apply drag to the wheel (e.g. with a wooden stick) with the table completely stopped.

Paolo

The problem was, with the table and table bed worn out due to maybe heavy use... Had to re scrap the table and matched it to the table bed.... Sound back to normal... Surface finish has also improved....

2 micron tir on the spindle itself?

Seems about 60 millionths more than I would expect. A grinding spindle should be very very close to dead nuts.

Is this 80 millionths measures on the grinding spindles bare taper?

Check for camming?

I suspect spindle. 80 millionths seems off. Should not have been produced that inaccurately.

But hey, these are just my opinions based upon my experience and observation.

Back