What's new
What's new

hydraulic fluid for a Brown & Sharpe Micromaster 618

SirRage

Aluminum
I recently brought home a Brown & Sharp Microamster 618 that has a hydraulic table. I was told the machine was drained of fluids before it was shipped, and according to the manual it takes 15 galons of high lubricity hydraulic lubricate and way oil. Having a viscosity of 150 S.S.U at 100ºf.

The spec sheet for Mobil Vactra Oil states that 1&2 are suitable for hydraulic systems in small machines.
https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Industrial/pds/GLXXMobil-Vactra-Oil-Numbered-Series

I think I want #1 oil because according to this viscosity chart, 150 SUS (Same as SSU?) is equivalent to ISO VG 32, which is what No 1 is.

Viscosity-Chart.jpg

This makes sense to me but I would not mind someone correcting me if my logic is wrong.

Mobil Vacculine 1400 oils are typically specified for machines that use the same oil for way lube and hydraulic oil, such as a surface grinder. It's what I have always used.

Merry Christmas

The oil I use for Micromater series of grinders is Mobil 1405.

Other oils may work, but the B&S tech installing my grinder--long ago--said 1405 will not give you the problems that other hydraulic oils will.

LOST

Vacculine 1405 and vactra 1 are both great oil choices for your surface grinder. I am a service engineer for an Okamoto distributor, this is all we recommended for Okamoto surface grinders per the manufactures spec. Have used in many other competitors machines as well. Both are 32 Vg and hold up under great heat and constant use. Most hydraulic issues I see are due to wrong oil used or haven’t changed oil in “a few years”.

Back