What's new
What's new

Hydraulic Pump model in Clausing/Covel 512 Cylindrical grinder?

James Lederer

Hot Rolled
I'm hoping someone here has a Clausing 512 OD grinder and could tell me some information about the hydraulic pump in the base that powers the table traverse. A pump manufacturer and model number would be great.

I have bought a 512 grinder that someone modified with some sort of power steering pump that doesn't work. I got a great price on the grinder so, I'm not worried. I'm hoping that I can get a replacement pump of some sort. Does the pump also provide lubrication for the table ways?

Also if someone has a digital copy of the Manual that would be very helpful.

I will try to see what mine is, but a power steering pump
should be about the right size/specs. for the application.
My table ways have a separate Bijur hand oil pump.

-D

Yep, mine has the bijur pump, and the ways are very oily so it looks like the previous owner used it. It looks like there something with the wiring or possibly a bad coil that keep the pump motor from running. I'm trying to track down what the control wire labeled 12 does. It goes into the base. It doesn't have voltage on it to close the coil when the table is turned on. I can close the contactor manually and get the pump to run.

For any fellow idiots that have the same problem. Control wire 12 goes the the switch located in the manual traverse handwheel that doesn't allow the hydraulics to power up until the handle is disengaged from the table. It took me 4 hours to figure that out. Duh.

Now I just have to figure out why the pump isn't pumping.

I called Clausing, and it turns out the original pump is a Saginaw power steering pump with a different reservoir. It looks like any old GM style saginaw power steering pump is a direct replacement with a reservoir swap. For once, the repair is actually cheap and easy. Maybe someone else can use this information down the road.

Back