What's new
What's new

Ideas for a diy face centre - what do you guys use?

Mcgyver

Diamond
I'm looking for "roll your own "ideas on face centres for cylindrical grinding....any photos, tips or ideas appreciated. My grinder is light, a T&CG with a motorized work head. I usually just put a stub in a 5C collet and grind to 60 in situ so its band on. Before I go concocting all sorts of spring loaded stuff sticking out of it I was hoping see what others do

Thanks

Never done it ona cylindrical grinder, but have done it for spinning a shaft for polishing work on the lathe, simply turn a centre like you describe but use a large enough bar and turn a shoulder on it, a short stiff die spring and you can get a fair bit of drive force.

Why not use a Grinding Dog when between centers. I mostly use Redi brand spring dogs,sometimes a light duty lathe clamp Dog works well. I tried a driving center from a wood lathe, not successfully.

I do use a dog, but sometimes you want to grind the whole cylinder ....reversing it introduces some inaccuracies I'd think.

I've got someone's failed attempt at a long skinny cylindrical sq......but its hardened and kind of the right shape and size for a test bar I need for a current scraping project. I want the OD at one setting.

I'll probably end making something to clamp to the centre and engage a hole in the end of it but have seen commercial face centres and like the idea of something more 'universal'

Thanks

Back