What's new
What's new

Jakobsen sj12 spindle

Rotary Science

Plastic
Hey guys,

I just picked up a Jakobsen SJ12 hydraulic surface grinder. The previous owner bought it at an auction, and didn't have three phase power so he stuck it in a corner for the better part of 15 years. The front door of the machine was missing and the whole thing had been repainted grey, so he did not know what brand it was. Lucky for me his price reflected that.

I have been going over the whole thing cleaning and inspecting it before putting it into service at my home shop. I have had to replace the cup seals on the cross feed cylinders and one soft line so far. I am currently stuck trying to figure out how to lubricate the spindle.

Is it a sealed unit on this machine that cannot be lubricated without tearing the spindle down or am I missing some obvious lube point?

I have not powered up the spindle yet, but spinning it by hand it sounds rather dry in there. I would assume I should not be able to hear anything coming from the spindle.

Where should I go from here? I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks,
Mike L.

After a more thorough cleanup of the outside of spindle I found that what I thought was a casting riser was actually an access plate with 5 layers of grey paint on and around it.

I flooded the spindle with Mobile spindle oil and closed it back up. I saw remnants of old grease in there. It has already developed a small oil leak out of the front seal. I would rather keep filling it with oil than wear those bearings out.

Mike L.

The spindle on my sj12 is grease lubricated and has a nipple for relube. i have a manual for mine, i will check what it says tomorrow. Can you post photos of yours, i think there might have been a few different eras of the sj12.

lube points are on the right hand side of the spindle casting, and one in the end of the shaft on the pulley end. manual says to use Shell Alvania ER2 EPL2 grease. lube required every 1000 hrs.

Back