What's new
What's new

Jet 6 x 18 Surface Grinder

rdhem2

Aluminum
I was given a Jet 6 x 18 Surface Grinder because the new owner of a small machine shop had two bozos helping him rearrange the shop. The grinder took a tumble from a fork lift and broke a few pieces which I have managed to repair. No matter where I look Jet does not list this grinder in their catalog anymore or show they even ever produced it. I even tried Vintage Machinery.

My question is about a piece of spring steel tape that came from under the table. It has what appears to be adjustable screw weights on each end and I can not figure out what it is for. Any hints or ideas? This is why I would love to track down a parts manual with a parts diagram.

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE ?

My question is about a piece of spring steel tape that came from under the table. It has what appears to be adjustable screw weights on each end and I can not figure out what it is for. Any hints or ideas?

Not a huge mystery. MANY SG's used a steel band for traversal of the table and/or for setting reversal points. Others used woven cable. Simply kept CLEAN, either can be smoother at any given cost than rack & pinion, and a good deal cheaper than hydraulics.

Look closer. If you got this far? All the "manual" you need should be the machine itself.

Precise and repeatable a SG needs to be.

Complicated, not so much.

I was given a Jet 6 x 18 Surface Grinder because the new owner of a small machine shop had two bozos helping him rearrange the shop. The grinder took a tumble from a fork lift and broke a few pieces which I have managed to repair. No matter where I look Jet does not list this grinder in their catalog anymore or show they even ever produced it. I even tried Vintage Machinery.

My question is about a piece of spring steel tape that came from under the table. It has what appears to be adjustable screw weights on each end and I can not figure out what it is for. Any hints or ideas? This is why I would love to track down a parts manual with a parts diagram.

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE ?

Are you sure it is not the bit that moves the table left to right? I have seen grinders that had spring steel strips wrapped around the shaft turned by the left to right handle. One to each side of the table with a threaded adjuster to remove any slack.

Back