What's new
What's new

Kel-Vista UR 175/1000 turret sticking

treehick

Plastic
I hope you can assist me with this. I’ve searched online forums and the service manuals and cannot find an answer:

Kellenberger Kel-Vista UR 175/1000 CNC Grinder with a GE Fanuc Series 2li-T control

The turret(?) will randomly get stuck and take approximately 10 minutes to rotate.

There are no error codes and the machine will do it very randomly.

The only thing that I can think of is, could the coolant be causing it to stick?

OR if not the coolant, is there a grease point somewhere in the turret?

I have a Kel-vista (2008 year)and I had a problem like this. I will post pics tonight but if you look at the hydraulic pump in back. (way lube pump) what valve do you have. It will be on the right side and think it will say either ATOS or RexRoth. Let me know.

Well, I have a couple minutes. My machine would do the same thing from the sound of things. What it is doing is the hydraulics are trying to lift the turret but the valve is not getting the signal from the I/O board. When the turret lifts the optical sensor in the rear of the machine tells the control that the turret is lifted and it is okay to rotate to the other wheels that you are using. So if the hydraulics are not lifting the turret it is just waiting from the signal until it lifts. It will set there all day until it gets the signal. My machine would never throw a code either. Let me know what valves you have.

Thank you Donovan for replying! For some reason I didn't get a notification that someone had replied AND I haven't figured out how to quickly check my posts.

I will take a picture of the pump that I do have and post it also. (As soon as I post another inquiry, as I'm getting new error codes.)

So, how did you fix it? Did you replace/repair the valves, or did you clean the sensor in the rear of the machine?

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p499/zencenterless/IMG_2731_zpsw3wdhjvi.jpg

In the picture, look for the bright red light. To look at it, remove the back panel and look under the turret. You may have to look at it from the side to see it. Turn the machine on, and with the turret in run position, the red light should be on. Change wheel position to T2 or T1 and the turret will lift up and the light will go out. If it does not go out, make sure the turret is lifting up to rotate. If the turret is not lifting on command, then I think you probably have the same problem I had and it is a bad board. Call Matt (I think) at Hardinge Service and go to the grinding department. Tell them that Donovan at RAM Grinding thinks you have the same problem. I remember him having me check some places on the board for power. The bad news is if it is the board, it is about $1700 and you also have to buy a new valve for $500. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

The picture I am sending is in with the same ones I sent yesterday. Just look for it in the album. Sorry I can't get just the one picture to post here.

Thank you Donovan!

I will definitely check that out first thing tomorrow morning.

My boss approved a tech from Hardinge to come visit and hopefully take care of that, as well as look into my low voltage errors.

It's quite possible that this machine needs a once thru with general maintenance.

Hopefully, despite being the only maintenance person there, I can shadow him as much as I'm able to. Especially considering how much it's costing us.

Thanks again! And I'll provide follow-ups as well.

I am pretty sure that if you fix the board your low voltage will go away also. The VFD and the proxi switches plug into that board. I will be interested in what Hardinge says. BTW it took about 1.5 hours to change the valve and swap the boards out. Good luck.

I kept an eye on the light this morning and it did turn off when the turret lifted up, turned to the ID wheel, lowered and turned back on.

We tried turning the ID wheel on and it fired right up with no warning codes.

We turned it back to the OD wheel, which the operator just changed and tried to get it turning and that's when the prox switch speed and axis errors arose.

I've ran a Vita and a Vista for years at my previous employer and never had this issue. The Vita had more issues than the Vista's did, though. Maintenance and cleanliness was held at a very high standard. I've since moved on and I am starting a cylindrical grinding department for another company. I am set to recieve the new Vista in 2 weeks and I am very excited! Not much has changed, however it does have updated doors. I am having a precision air Chuck from Microcentric installed. Anybody ever use one on a Vista?

Back