What's new
What's new

Knowledge from the Old timers machinist please share (experience mistake, learn from)

Truck

Plastic
What experience can the older machinist share with the younger machinist. knowledge is power. thank you so much

You guys are just a bunch of meanies!

But one thing a young machinist can learn from this, old machinists do not live by the axiom of "there are no stupid questions". I am of the opinion that there no stupid questions, but there are many inquisitive idiots out there.

Joke aside, you get very good answers here for specific and narrow questions, but this is not a site for philosophers.

dee
;-D

You guys are just a bunch of meanies!

But one thing a young machinist can learn from this, old machinists do not live by the axiom of "there are no stupid questions". I am of the opinion that there no stupid questions, but there are many inquisitive idiots out there.

Joke aside, you get very good answers here for specific and narrow questions, but this is not a site for philosophers.

dee
;-D

Um yeah, what he said.

Bill

If you have a question; don't expect to be spoon fed.

Crack a book, there's a hundred years of machining books out there.
Use the google, think about it.
Come up with your own solutions.

Then when you do need to really ask a question;

Give all the relevant info as clearly, as organized and as briefly as possible.

Plus
Always use a condom.

Last edited:
Since I am now Old, I'll share two things learned from the greatest men I've ever known, My Grandpa, and my Dad.

Never argue with a Drunk or an Idiot.
Life is what you make of it.

While neither of these statements is original to them, the discussion that came along with them has served me well, for 65 years.

Regarding gaining knowledge, education, a simple rule, the better the question the better the response.

When you need to ask a question have a possible solution in mind and mention it to the person you are asking help from to show that you at least thought about it and didn't just give up.

What experience can the older machinist share with the younger machinist. knowledge is power. thank you so much

If you search this forum for certain keywords you likely will find lots of knowledge that older machinists shared and you can learn quite a bit from how different members approach a problem. Find the question first and the answer will be much easier to find.

Since this a a forum about grinding, How about, don't forget to turn the chuck on. Then grab hold of the part and try to move it before grinding it.

that works for a mill too. had somebody slide mill vise bolts in and not tighten them beyond hand tight. when i put part in vise and started milling i got a surprise

that works for a mill too. had somebody slide mill vise bolts in and not tighten them beyond hand tight. when i put part in vise and started milling i got a surprise

Similar tip. Always check the tool drawbar is tight before starting the job. I've known people finger tighten the drawbar and then get called away for something. Half an hour later the come back, start cutting, and have a crash.

Regards Tyrone.

Since this a a forum about grinding, How about, don't forget to turn the chuck on. Then grab hold of the part and try to move it before grinding it.

And for a chancy grinding set up push the part with two fingers..If you can tip it the the grinding might do the same/

come from the grind side for chacy set ups.

With wheel spindle turned off come down to dressed wheel hand touch the part that looks flat (or touch the high side of one that seems not flat). Up wheel .010 and pass slowly over over to see it does not touch.. NOW fire up and make down feeds coming in from the grind side to find sparks.

Read RPM on wheel and ring test all wheels, break a dull thud wheel at once.

Be sure the wheel has a blotter on both sides.

Move next job work about the chuck so not to put a hole at the center on the rail..

Guess I could go on all day and this would be first day stuff working under a Journeymam grinder hand

Always use the table lock when you pause from grinding (if it has one). I've paused to answer a question and discovered the grinder wasn't fully leveled and the table was creeping slowly under the wheel again. This is most inconvenient when your hands are wrapped around the workpiece measuring it. An accident on the surface grinder is instantaneous so err on the side of safety.

And stop grinding when talking.. wait for the bother to go away.
Have a stub of tape handy to mark the hand wheel location.
Have a pencil and pad so needing to go to the head you can make a remember note.
Never mark a hand wheel with a punch, file. hacksaw blade or anything that does not wipe off.
Know the cross back-lash at different places along cross.) yes for older grinders and mills, perhaps lathes.
Know how to use stop for go only so far long travel grinding.. and how to add a shim (s) as you down feed at a stop-grind.
Set an off chuck diamond to be a gauge height wheel dresser. Set it ..? above finish part size.
Most jobs listen for slacking RPM .. might tell you are grinding too much feed.
Block high on the part, on the go side.
Jog start a high speed spindle.. many times jog for a grinder setting for months...I do every day to a could machine.
Also dress the front of wheel if needing to hold an inside corner.
Know to grease pencil mark so you can see the come-in before touching the part.
Grind with guard in proper place.
Yes safety glasses and I now use a simple dust mask.

Had a boss jabber jawing for a time then he asked why am I not grinding..Waiting for a bother to go away.. he looked around to see what could it be..... then he left.
loose a part just thinking about something else. Yes looee or lose.

Last edited:

Back