What's new
What's new

KO Lee Workhead B&S11 to 5c adapter

garyrice

Aluminum
I acquired a bunch of tooling along with an old model KO Lee B800-19-51 Tool & Cutter grinder.

The spin index style workhead includes an adapter that fits into the workhead (B&S 11 taper) and (theoretically) accepts a 5C collet.

However, the adapter has a collar at the back end that prevents a standard 5C collet from seating completely. The collar diameter is just slightly larger than the collet's external threads. And when I put a collet into the adapter the collet protrudes from the front end of the adapter by about 1/2 inch. And (of course) the collet doesn't close.

Please explain the purpose of this collar.

Gary

If the threads are fixed in the adapter, I would guess that the adapter is for holding a solid type 5C. Like a small chuck that has a 5C backplate. It holds the collet, it does not close the collet. No alignment pin in photo.

The adapter is cimpletely unthreaded but has a hole in the back end that could be used to hold a locating pin.

It is short enough that if I could get a 5C collet fully seated in it, the external threads would completely protrude from the back end.

I'm inclined to grind the collar out but I hesitate since KO Lee is gone and parts such as this have become quite rare.

Thoughts?

Gary

BS tapers are the only tapers that are measured back to front, all others have the front as the gageline.
A BS #11 is 1.250 at the small end, a #12 is 1.500. A 5C collet is 1.250 body diameter with the threads at 1.234.
This leads me to think, that you have a BS12, and there is a burr or something that prevents the collet from passing through the adapter, and a drawtube is used to pull the collet closed.

There may be a special collet that has a slightly smaller body diameter, I just don't know what that may be.

I have a KO Lee work head with the 5C adapter.

I think you have a burr or the bore is distorted. It should work fine. Did you try more than one collet? Does the adapter seat well in the bore of the work head?

It is a B&S 11.

Bill

CCI03172018.jpgCCI03172018_0001.jpgCCI03172018_0002.jpg

Back