What's new
What's new

Large surface grinder in Sacramento

stumps

Plastic
I have a 2' diameter by 3/4'' thick aluminum plate that was scrap metal on a recent job that I am trying to use as a small surface plate, welding table. It looks like it was machined before but half of the plate was covered in powdercoat and has some light scratches in the surface. I used paint stripper to get most of the powdercoat off, but now there is a hard line were it ended. I am looking for machine shops in or near Sacramento that have a surface grinder big enough to grind the plate. I have gone to Langils of Power Inn and they said the plate was to big, I have emailed S&S in Roseville and they said the same thing. If I can't have it grinded, does any one have other suggestions to scrape the surface clean without gouging it.

I've included a pic, hope it comes out.

Attachments

• IMAG1000.jpg
    IMAG1000.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 270
Stumps,

Welcome to the forum. Your aluminum find is cool but in my opinion, it would make neither a good surface plate nor a good, all around welding table. If you are bound and determined to have it ground, there are several grinding shops in Oakland, CA that you might try. Not too helpful..sorry.

Stuart

To the PM contributors,

Would this be a candidate for Blanchard grinding rather than surface grinding?

I imagine 24" capacity shouldn't be a problem to find. Do you agree?

What flatness tolerance could the OP expect from Blanchard grinding?

Since aluminum no problem for a Blanchard. You just block it in. We have ground many aluminum discs on our Blanchard grinder.

Stone selection is critical, aluminum likes to suck up into the segments.

Agree not a (big) problem to block it in and grind.. but how close do you need it? could mill fly cut a flat to one side then flip and fly or end mill cut it close on the other side...

It is a nice chunk of aluminum but being soft it will get beat up PDQ and you will have to re surface it to keep it true..

Thanks for answering, I know it's not the best for a welding table or surface plate. But it beats my current wood table for welding and I mainly tig small things so it should work for my needs. My plan is to use with some v blocks to make bike frames, instead of buying or making a frame jig. So as for tolerance it needs to be pretty flat.

I also have 10 more of these, so I would like to try and do something with these rather than just scraping all of them.

I used Hester Grinding in Lodi, 4 years ago. Great service and quality. They do blanchard grinding to 44" dia. 209-339-1204. They grind aluminum

I agree with those who said it will not be a good choice for either a surface plate or welding table. It will cost a bunch to have it ground as a 1 off. Why not put a flap disc on your angle grinder and clean it up enough for a welding table.

I was quoted $125 to have in blanchard ground to tool room Grade B from a place 1 hour from me. Not sure if that's cheap or expensive?

I was quoted $125 to have in blanchard ground to tool room Grade B from a place 1 hour from me. Not sure if that's cheap or expensive?

Uhh... someone quoting "tool room Grade B" is probably not the right place IMO...

But, yea surface grinding that chunk of AL is a problem, but blanchard grinding is not... If it is just for welding and such, I don't think $125 is too bad a price...

Doesn't sound like you need a super fine finish. Find someone with a lathe that will handle it and just face it off. My Kopings will swing 24". I'd bolt it to a smaller plate and chuck it up in the 4 jaw. Should be much cheaper than grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
[That is less than I expected, but it's still a waste of money. You can buy a nice used 2' x 3' granite surface plate for that sort of money]

Likely you could sell the Aluminum parts and buy a used cast Iron plate for $50..and it likely close enough for such work as you plane.. or it could be Blanchard ground easier than grinding aluminum.. Grinding or lathe turning the chunk of aluminum likely $100 and $30 ($15 each way) for shipping.

Back