What's new
What's new

Lil OT:6" wide belt sanders and dust collectors...........what's out there?

david n

Diamond
I'm looking for a new 6" wide belt sander. Not doing severe duty sanding. No I don't want a belt grinder.......sander, 6" wide minimum, horizontal. I touch up a lot of parts after part-off from the lathes. Lots of flat sanding and cosmetic sanding. There's some Kalamazoo's out there for under $2k, the unmentionable JET, some no names too............Also looking for dust collection. Portable unit would be nice. Not looking to plumb the shop with duct work. Input?

This may be a nice all-in-one:

Kalamazoo Industries S6MV 6 x 48 Sander & Vacuum Base

I have a 1" wide Kazoo.
Have had it for 12 yrs now.
Simple and effective ..... and cheap! (Baldor too I think)

We use whatever is closest to it to collect dust onto.

....... It could be a 2 inch wide belt....?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
As for dust collectors, we just installed one of these at work: Laguna C|Flux 1.5hp 1-Micron Cyclone Dust Collector | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

It is very well built. We did plumb it in permanently but it is normally considered a portable. It's in our shipping dept, and used for sawdust but dual 4" ducts, each nearly 40' long move enough air at high enough velocity that I think they'd work ok for metal dust too, especially if you don't do the 12' vertical rise on them like we did.

It was also necessary to rewire it to 230V because that motor draws 18A at 120V which was too high for the remote controls we used. (that is nameplate running current @ 120V and sure enough it tripped the remote overload)

I have a Dust Gorilla that's hard piped to the table saw, with hard pipe and flex hoses that get switched around to whatever needs it at the time. I'm really happy with it.

In regards to the dust collector..better not have the style that uses a cotton bag (bag house style) as a filter..seems any hot metallic clinkers may set it ablaze.

Stuart

In regards to the dust collector..better not have the style that uses a cotton bag (bag house style) as a filter..seems any hot metallic clinkers may set it ablaze.

Stuart

That was my concern with Wruss's set-up.
Might go find that in his "new shop" thread.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Those Kalamazoo units are nice. Baldor makes a similar machine that's a 4" belt on one side and a regular grinding wheel on the other. That would be a bit more versatile.

Those Kalamazoo units are nice. Baldor makes a similar machine that's a 4" belt on one side and a regular grinding wheel on the other. That would be a bit more versatile.

I kinda need the 6" belt though.............certain parts would be too big for the 4". They need a sanded grain finish...............................

I'm thinking they don't want ya grindin' wet.............the dust unit would gum up with schmoo. I suppose it'd be OK if you're grind dry?

Oh, well - could be...

I was thinkin' dry surface grinder - sparky exhaust.
I know that I catch my guard on fi ... smoulder on occassion.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

AER Control Systems manufactures all different types of portable dust collectors, the least cost is a shaker bag unit with flame retardant filters, the filters will not burn, but if the dust has oil on it then it will burn. We have a spark trap options to eliminate the sparks.
Another more expensive portable is an auto cleanable cartridge collector. Check out our webite, Industrial Air Filtration Equipment Manufacturers or call 866-265-2372 and ask for Rob, the Applications Engineer.

Stuart

Seen sometimes that coarse, new and sharp ceramic belt makes a pile of steel wool instead of just "dust" and when that pile inevitably catches on fire things can get even hotter than usual.

Back