What's new
What's new

A little help needed making a diamond stone wheel dresser

steve-l

Titanium
I understand the need for the diamond dresser to approach the stone wheel being dressed at a negative angle to prevent the stone digging the diamond out of the holder. Does anyone know what the correct angle should be? I was thinking 30*, but on second thought, it looks too steep.

Sounds like you want to hold a single point diamond to dress wheels on a surface grinder. It depends on the diamond and you want to use a different angle every time you use it to avoid grinding a flat on the diamond. I would try around 15 degrees and don't just grind at the lowest point of the wheel.

The real purpose of the angle is to make sure that the diamond is left of the center of the wheel. Forget to turn mag on, touch diamond to right side of wheel and nasty things happen.

To avoid wearing flats on your dresser diamond consider mounting the dresser vertical in a round base. Not likely to dress with the same spot on the diamond every time since the base is round.

Actually, the tool I am making is a replica of the Baldor GA-8 used on their 500 series tool grinders. The Baldor GA8 slides in the table slot and presents the diamond dresser to the stone at this unknown angle. The dresser is advanced in the holder by a screw pushing from behind. You can see this on their website. I have elected to use a Van Norman diamond dresser that is 2 3/4" long 7/16-20 threaded with a thumb wheel on the end. I will incorporate a threaded lock ring to prevent unintended diamond motion from vibration.

I think I will go with Conrad and David's recommendation of 15^. It sounds right and looks right to me. Normally the table on the grinder is set between 5^ and 7^, I will bore the threaded hole at 20^ to the table surface. I'll post a photo of the tool and let you know how it worked when it is finished today.

I have ours at work and mine at home, vertical now with a round knurled base. I found no difference between that and angled. I like that I don't put it on the same way everytime. Could never remember the last time I spun the diamond.

Dave

Baldor grinder stone dresser 2.jpgBaldor grinder stone dresser 1.jpgThe tool is completed with the 20^ angle and it works perfectly. The Van Norman style diamond is much better than the Baldor unthreaded stub. See the photos: Thanks everyone for the advice.Baldor grinder stone dresser 3.jpg

Dear Steve,

I understand the need for the diamond dresser to approach the stone wheel being dressed at a negative angle to prevent the stone digging the diamond out of the holder.

According to the following "Tech Tip" in the 2017 Norton Abrasives catalog, you have the direction wrong. The angled approach is not "pushing the diamond back onto the dresser". It is dragging the diamond out of the dresser:

attachment.php

Dear Steve,

According to the following "Tech Tip" in the 2017 Norton Abrasives catalog, you have the direction wrong. The angled approach is not "pushing the diamond back onto the dresser". It is dragging the diamond out of the dresser:

attachment.php

Thanks for the tip, but I can't seem to read the angle in the drawing. In any case, that is how my holder works as well. Wheel direction drags on the diamond. As the diamond is mounted on a threaded stud, advancing the diamond always rotates it presenting it differently to the stone, eliminating the requirement to rotate the diamond.

View attachment 228427View attachment 228428The tool is completed with the 20^ angle and it works perfectly. The Van Norman style diamond is much better than the Baldor unthreaded stub. See the photos: Thanks everyone for the advice.View attachment 228426
Love your Baldor replica dresser. I was searching for any dimensions for the Baldor GA8 to create my own and save the almost $700 for their unit. Would you happen to have a chitchat with dimensions of your design. I would be more than grateful.. thanks, Mike

Back