What's new
What's new

Looking at 6x18 Brown & Sharpe Micromaster

Bill Pace

Aluminum
I have a lead on a 6x18 B&S micromaster hydraulic surface grinder and not familar with it, just the B&S's usually good overall reputation...

What are some issues to look for on inspection, the pictures are quite favorable (no ebay paint/clean-up!) It has the electronic chuck.

Is shown as "2500lbs, approximate" -- is this realistic -- more? less?

I have a couple of these. Rugged, reliable straight forward electrical. Hydraulics in base of machine. Fine feed on x axis hydraulic feed was buggy and many machines have a small xmas tree of pipes and valves on left side. Purpose of this arrangement was to get very slow traverse passes for best surface finish. All of these grinders have a fundamental concern- moisture in the oil will cause spool and vane valves to stick. Teardown is usually needed to remedy this. If you cannot see machine operate and check all functions you may have major issues on powerup. Look for water in bottom of hydraulic sump since most of these machines used common sump for high pressure and lowpressure way lube. I have a complete shop manual I can scan if you get one.

jh

Manual scan?

I just got one Friday and spent all day yesterday re-strapping it for 220 volt and checking it out. Hydraulic cross feed wasn't working at first but finally freed it up; everything seems to work.

Would you extend the same scan offer to me? I'd appreciate it and will reciprocate any way I can! My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Travis

Just got back from several days in Mich I where was able to get another grinder -- this one a 6x18 G & L #25... it has what I wanted, power feed on both X & Y axes, and the weight was something I could handle.

Thanks J Holland for the info and offer on the manual, -- through a couple other sources I had heard of the hydraulic glitches common on this machine, that, and the weight being in the 2500# range made me pass on it.

Back