What's new
What's new

Looking for shop that can grind a 9in dia taper on a 12ft long part

triumph406

Diamond
Hi to the grinding community

I have been tasked with finding a shop (preferably west coast) that can grind a 9" dia taper.

The major dia of the taper is 9in, and it's 21in long with a 1.400in/ft on dia taper. The dia 1in from the 9in dia is 15in, it then tapers down to 8in over 36in, and is a constant 8in dia for an overall length of 120in

We're located in WA, but would be whiling to ship to a suitable grinding shop. The grinding shops we typically use can't do a taper on such a large part.

Assuming the description is sufficient, does anybody know of a suitable grind shop that could grind that taper?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Dave

Shaft weight? What accuracy and surface finish is needed on the taper? Are there center holes on each end of the shaft? Any keyways or other features that will add complications?

I'm mostly curious, can't do the work myself right now, but have an old Monarch that I could kludge up a secondary linear axis with grinding head if I really needed to.

Shaft weight? What accuracy and surface finish is needed on the taper? Are there center holes on each end of the shaft? Any keyways or other features that will add complications?

I'm mostly curious, can't do the work myself right now, but have an old Monarch that I could kludge up a secondary linear axis with grinding head if I really needed to.

Good questions!

Weight is 2270#
There will be centers at each end, but the grinder can re-grind the centers if req'd
The taper has to have a 70% contact fit with a supplied taper gage.
the finish has not been specified, I would think a 16 finish would be acceptable.
There are keyways at each end.

Back