What's new
What's new

Lost Soul In Need of Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdhem2

Aluminum
I got my Cincinnati #2,1968 Model grinder about 16 months ago. The Do Do Bird I bought it from knocked it over on it's face while loading it. Then upon delivery says "Oh, by the way". I almost told him to put it where the the sun don't shine but after he threw in a couple grand worth of extra tooling not in the first deal, I gave in and bought it anyway.

Worst problem was repairing the cross feed screw. With a lot of doubt and cussing and help from a good friend we finally got it functioning smoothly again. One good aspect about the whole thing is I do now know what is on the inside and gave me a chance to clean out over 40 years of built up crud.

Now my problem? I do not know how to use it. Seems a little more complicated than learning how to operate a lathe or mill. Michbuck has answered my questions before and maybe I am aiming this at him but I need to know where to go and get some type of instruction book that actually tells you something. I have put together a collection of 46 and 60 grit wheels of varying shapes and three types of diamond faced wheels. Now I need to know how to use them.

Last night I ground a 1/2" dia countersink down to 3/8" to counter sink a hole in a slightly larger hole. I could not even get a smooth even finish on it with a new 46 grit wheel. This can't be that tough but sure is confusing to me!
HELP!!! :scratchchin:

You will get no guidance as this thread will be locked for a meaningless title. You have 189 posts, you should know this by now! Put cincy # 2 and your question in the title. BTW manuals for that grinder should be easy to get.

Cincinnati made an excellent, lengthy manual for the #2 tool&cutter grinder, in print for many years, and a scan is available free on the InterTubes somewhere. Hardcopies of the manual also show up on eBay from time to time. I may have two copies (one rather oil-soaked).

But... with the exception of very few details specific to the machine or its particular attachments, any good machine shop training manual that covers tool grinding will get you well along the way to successful operation. I am partial to Karl Moltrecht's Machine Shop Practice in 2 volumes, but there are many other good choices. If you can scare up a reprint of Robert Smith's century-old Advanced Machine Work (Lindsay Publications used to print it, and there are other sources today), it's got lots of nice clear line illustrations of tool and cutter grinding.

Also, any other manufacturer's (e.g., K.O. Lee) manual for tool&cutter grinders will be equally useful.

*Thread title is used for reference so others can find and use the information

Any one and every one thinking about cutter grinding should have the #2 handbook.
No it may not have everything but it has much

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2097/4921.pdf

Just click on the book ..wait a bit then click save

*You did not even put Cincinnati in you title "Your bad"

Good way to figure cutter grinding is to hold the part up to the parked wheel and then think about how to do it.

One common error is not thinking about axial and radial relief (clearance). Imagine if you tilt down your work head 7* for clearance. You may get 7* at the end of perhaps a flat bottom end mill.. but then turning to swing the work head to a corner angle of 45* you may loose half the clearance... now turn to near the OD and you loose almost if not all of the clearance. Yes you need tilt and roll for a corner angle.

Buck

You will get no guidance as this thread will be locked for a meaningless title. You have 189 posts, you should know this by now! Put cincy # 2 and your question in the title. BTW manuals for that grinder should be easy to get.

When I went to school I was taught that a title was to grasp interest and attention from someone whom may otherwise have no interest in your particular subject. In other words to get someone not interested in grinding per se, to still take the two seconds to look at your opening paragraph and if you have not trapped them by then, allow them to move on. Like the caption heading a newspaper article.

Guess Miss Love and me are wrong!

I agree with the other posters, look for every bit and piece of information you can find on the web, in books, and pamphlets. My approach to cutter grinding is based on first: seeing and understanding the surfaces to be ground, work holding and indexing correctly, and a bit of a gentle touch which is something between an art and science that has to do with the subtle application of the wheel to the tool. The touch is something that just comes with doing the work like on other machines, but a bit more subtle. Expect to make mistakes,that is just part of the game.
Then there is tooling which you are going to want a lot of. You are going to want lots of wheel arbors, so you can tru wheels, use them and change them as needed quickly and easily. You will want lots of attachments, the more the better, Learn the basic wheel shapes and types and how and where they are used, Diamond, CBN, Aluminum Oxide, etc. Remember that for the most part, every cutting tool you will ever see or use was made using the same basic wheel shapes, and those shapes will often times match (fit) the cuts. If you are planning on sharpening end mills, you will want an air bearing attachment and of course finger micrometers to set index your cuts. The only limiting factor to using a cutter tool grinder is having this basic knowledge, and your own imagination.

When I went to school I was taught that a title was to grasp interest and attention from someone whom may otherwise have no interest in your particular subject. In other words to get someone not interested in grinding per se, to still take the two seconds to look at your opening paragraph and if you have not trapped them by then, allow them to move on. Like the caption heading a newspaper article.

It really depends what's the context: if you're writing an article for a magazine or a newspaper, or you're trying to get some followers on a social media, it could be a good strategy. But in a technical forum it rather a no-no.

Paolo

2 years from now when some other lost soul is looking for Cincy #2 cutter grinding info they won't be looking up you or miss Love, They will search titles with Cincinnati #2 in them. That makes the forum work for everybody. The boss is slaking or this thread would be locked already.....He must be out on the boat!

I find I'm less and less tolerant of click-bait thread topics both here and on other sites. I'm in the "just say what it's about" camp.

That said, the search function sucks so much that the whole "search on thread title" thing doesn't really come into play that much. Searching site with Google gets you right there quickly, and quirklessly. (Yup, I just made that word up.)

But yeah, it'll be locked.

Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back