What's new
What's new

Magnetic chuck fence

jeffers

Cast Iron
What is the best steel to make a magnetic chuck fence out of?
I have a walker ceramax 618.
I am new to surface grinding and I am in the process of setting up a newly acquired Boyar Shultz 618A.
I have leveled and aligned the chuck, there is no runout on the four corners, they agree exactly. There is a hump of 3 thou in the middle.
Should I grind the base and the top or just the top?
I have stoned both the table and the base and there are no high spots, I oiled both surfaces with way oil, maybe there is an oil film that is creating the hump? Maybe wipe clean and re Measure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has been infinitely discussed here. Search Google for "practical machinist" and "grinding chuck". Should keep you busy for a while.

Don't know if it is the best but I use a piece of angle iron with one leg reduced to about 3/16" and ground in place.

Agree the reduced side angle iron is OK for fence.. Clean out the back rail screw holes and use almost that long screws. back rail should end rest perhaps .015 off the chuck top and be able to raise to perhaps 3/32 away..You have to be able to wheel skim it with a grinding wheel when in place...Have special wrench that is shorter than standard length because you don't want to over tighten. two finger tight is a good rule.starting center and working out....put a screw in the holes when not using back rail. Place work all about the chuck not only at front center on the rail..yes have some lay-downs so you can get work away from rail so to use all about the chuck.

You can split the angle with a parting wheel easy enough..down feed on the grind side and go across..watch that end to se that you don't go into chuck..at about .020 left you can break off the waste..

Saying there is a .003 chuck center hump is not very meaning full. Is that the chuck flatness or the travel of the machine long travel.

I like to plate check a chuck to see the bottom is flat, If it is out of flat how so. Bowed concave or convex.
A little bottom bow convex an the hold downs will make to straight on the bottom so might let that go.
Bowed concave bottom and the hold down won’t make it flat so would grind the bottom...

shim each long end and check for flat is an Ok way to check. and then put a same shim under the middle and have some idea about the top..consider the weight might make a few tenths from unsupported weight with shims outboard.

But is the grinder capable of grinding anything flat? For this proof /test I tale a long straight parallel, lay it long ways , shim up the ends Zero-Zero and run an indicator along long travel..Do the sane for cross travel. Simply indicating the chuck mounting pad can give some idea about the grinder's grinding ability once it was check with a straight edge for being flat.

Grinding a chuck is likely the toughest grinder job.. heat makes them swell and once burned they are never the same..I tell new grinder hands to develop a feel for grinding before grinding a chuck..Even if you have to pay a grinder hand to do it, that might be worth it.

46 h to k very open wheel is the ticket//Some even use a 36 h to k very open wheel. Wet/Coolant grinding only, with a pause at both ends to let the chuck have time to cool.

looking on the youtube you often see a guy skimming a chuck..a few tenths or a few thousandths to make it look easy..It is not easy and a good way to mess up a chuck with trying to make a quick job of it.

Good to get vinto the habit of jog start to manke a good spindle last much longer.
Nothing wrong and perhaps better back rail is a piece on 1 1/2 x 1/2 x 18 flat stock with a notch ground in like Bruce's post-14 from the above link..*That puts a ground surface on the back side of your chuck.

Skimming with a dished wheel and side wheeling is best done with a 3/4 wide wheel. A 1/2 wheel is too easy to break..
You bring parked wheel to perhaps .030 off chuck..then cross feed to just touch the parked wheel to the rail. pull away with cross and the back in to minus .005,, hand roll the wheel to be sure you are away from wheel..fire-up and with going long travel right and left feed cross by .0002 or so until you begin to skim wheel..than take only enough to clean up.

*Yes the book says Don't side wheel..so this perhaps best when you feel you are a seasoned grinder hand..
Ring test wheels
always use blotters on both sides
wear safety glasses
make you block-ins bump high on the go side of that part to be ground.
Dress a pou-on wheel when you put it on/not wait till you use it.

Agree the reduced side angle iron is OK for fence.. Clean out the back rail screw holes and use almost that long screws. back rail should end rest perhaps .015 off the chuck top and be able to raise to perhaps 3/32 away..You have to be able to wheel skim it with a grinding wheel when in place...Have special wrench that is shorter than standard length because you don't want to over tighten. two finger tight is a good rule.starting center and working out....put a screw in the holes when not using back rail. Place work all about the chuck not only at front center on the rail..yes have some lay-downs so you can get work away from rail so to use all about the chuck.

You can split the angle with a parting wheel easy enough..down feed on the grind side and go across..watch that end to se that you don't go into chuck..at about .020 left you can break off the waste..

Saying there is a .003 chuck center hump is not very meaning full. Is that the chuck flatness or the travel of the machine long travel.

I like to plate check a chuck to see the bottom is flat, If it is out of flat how so. Bowed concave or convex.
A little bottom bow convex an the hold downs will make to straight on the bottom so might let that go.
Bowed concave bottom and the hold down won’t make it flat so would grind the bottom...

shim each long end and check for flat is an Ok way to check. and then put a same shim under the middle and have some idea about the top..consider the weight might make a few tenths from unsupported weight with shims outboard.

But is the grinder capable of grinding anything flat? For this proof /test I tale a long straight parallel, lay it long ways , shim up the ends Zero-Zero and run an indicator along long travel..Do the sane for cross travel. Simply indicating the chuck mounting pad can give some idea about the grinder's grinding ability once it was check with a straight edge for being flat.

Grinding a chuck is likely the toughest grinder job.. heat makes them swell and once burned they are never the same..I tell new grinder hands to develop a feel for grinding before grinding a chuck..Even if you have to pay a grinder hand to do it, that might be worth it.

46 h to k very open wheel is the ticket//Some even use a 36 h to k very open wheel. Wet/Coolant grinding only, with a pause at both ends to let the chuck have time to cool.

looking on the youtube you often see a guy skimming a chuck..a few tenths or a few thousandths to make it look easy..It is not easy and a good way to mess up a chuck with trying to make a quick job of it.

I am waiting for a small surface late to arrive to check the base, the hump is middle third of the chuck, lengthwise, with a test indicator all corners read the same. Chuck rises to .003 in the middle back, middle middle and middle front. Magnet on or off does not change anything.

I had not thought about using all of the surface of the chuck and not just the Centre, makes sense though.

I will try some shims and see what I get that way.

For the short end fence, how does this get ground so it is perpendicular to the long side fence or does it not matter.

Thanks for the advice.

Read this and note the torque procedure- http://www.walkermagnet.com/Collateral/Documents/English-US/chuckinstall.pdf

FWIW, I just put a fence on mine. It was a shop-made fence (not by me). I first ground the fence surfaces parallel. Rather than grind it in place, I just shimmed under the mounting bolt. Works fine. For something that frequently gets put on and taken off, it doesn't make much sense to me to grind it each time.

Short end should be square to .001 or better. You can add a shim to make it square,or grind it with a needed shim under. Some times you need to square a part off the end or use the end bump to place an angle parallel. . The end bump makes a secure slide stop but best if a block-in is set to bump at tall area of a tall part. soft/mild bump blocks hold best but have to be cared for to not get bumps and nicks..good idea to pick up a 123block set..great for squaring and holding parts and not bad for block-ins.

Chuck should not have a hollow under it such as being shimmed up/off or out of flat concave to make a hollow. Conrad’s post of how to mount..A one hand short wrench pull is plenty, Conrad's says 10 and 15 lbs=good advice..and be sure the hold down holds down some what inside so not pushing down at the outer edges of the chuck base.

If the chuck bottom is flat bottom and sets flat to the mounting pad then still has the +.003 you will have to grind the top in place.. Conrad’s post suggest a 30-40 grit wheel. That is a good choice. When you get to grinding near a full chuck area then the most chance to over heat so need to take a pause at ends and fine feeds and plenty of coolant...And don't run into the +.003 with long travel..not a bad practice is to tape a small piece of masking tape on the high place then when you start to grind the tape you know you are perhaps .003 off..we used to grease pencil to know we were .oo1/.002 and then when the grease was almost gone we had .0001/.0002 Don't make chuck-grinding near your first grinding job..play with some stock to get a feel for it..Handy to have a flat plate perhaps 5/8 or 3/4 x 12 x 8 or so for a checking fixture plate..that could be your first play jobs..It only needs to be flat..the 3/4 side is not important.

Thanks guys.
I think I will do some practice grinds and get to know the machine before attempting to grind the chuck.
I need to sort out the hydraulic table feed first as the control valve is not working properly.
Looking forward to getting this going!

Back