What's new
What's new

Magnetic Chuck Repairs

adama

Diamond
Haveing had the grinder for just over a month now i need to get on and grind the chuck (Its covered in nicks - rasied dents, have stoned of the worst but it needs a skim). The niggles have all been sorted except one. The handle on the chuck is incredably stiff. I know magnetic chucks are never smooth but this is just taking it a bit too far. Its a struggle to energise it, too the point its a two handed job.

Therefore before i grind the magnet im contemplateing takeing it off. I am guessing there must be some fastners holding the back on. Is it possible to remove the back and get at the handle mechanism and clean - lube it up? The chuck in question is a elliott walker fine pole 18x6". Google gets me no where with that name. just a load of secound hand dealer hits. Even if it is fastened can i take it apart or is the magnetic pull to great?

Thanks

Adam

For what it's worth, I picked up a Braillon permanent magnetic chuck that was part of a lot at an auction and stupid me I never checked it before I bought it. Turned out that it did not work so well. I thought the same thing as you, tried to see if I could get it apart but to no avail. I think that these are sealed from the factory and need to be heated up before they are split apart, I stress I think. You can definitely try and maybe you will have better luck than I. Perhaps you could try some penetrate oil around the on/off mechanism and see if that may help.

In my case after doing some research, I found that Walker has the North American rights to the Braillon chuck line. I contacted them and was told that they would look it over free of charge, all I had to do was ship it. Ultimately, it turned out that the inside workings went to hell and would not be worth replacing.

I would contact Walker and see if they service this model, for the $20 or so in shipping they can determine what is the problem and what it would cost. However, if cost is a factor at this point, try it yourself. Worse case scenario, it won't work and you could pick up a long duck dong model off Ebay. Some of them are not all that bad and priced decently

lol im in the uk so if i could ship that to the us for $20 then yep that would be paddeling across as we speak! I would have to guess that im looking at the cost of shipping being probaly - nearly the same as the chuck for a return trip.

Losseing magnetism is also a concern. But to date i have had a lot of magnetic things aprt and it has never been a isssue for me yet. If i can't get it apart i seroiusly could drill 2 small holes fill it with solvent - rinse and repeat. A final fill of oil and drain the worst out. Some how i need to sort this - get some idea how stiff it should be on a properly functional chuck of this size.

I've disassembled and cleaned an old Brown and Sharpe chuck, just removed the screws from the back side and pulled it apart. It's been a while but I don't remember any difficulties.

Grigg

Actually, Walker has a European facility. But like I mentioned it may cost more than it's worth. My case may unique, I just could not get it apart and perhaps you would have better luck!

lol im in the uk so if i could ship that to the us for $20 then yep that would be paddeling across as we speak! I would have to guess that im looking at the cost of shipping being probaly - nearly the same as the chuck for a return trip.

Losseing magnetism is also a concern. But to date i have had a lot of magnetic things aprt and it has never been a isssue for me yet. If i can't get it apart i seroiusly could drill 2 small holes fill it with solvent - rinse and repeat. A final fill of oil and drain the worst out. Some how i need to sort this - get some idea how stiff it should be on a properly functional chuck of this size.

In my opinion you are best to go to ebay and pick up a new one for a couple hundred bucks. We have several on the manual permanent chucks and once the lever gets real stiff or it does not mag/demag well you are best to not waste any more time on it.

It is not that hard to take a mag chuck apart. Remove the screws from the back side and the top and bottom will seperate. You may need to use a putty knive to get between the magnet and the top or bottom. I have taken a number of them apart and cleaned them up. I will normally grind the inside surfaces if there is any wear, this is so it moves smoothly. If it dry inside it can wear the inside. I have run across a thin maylar sheet in some of the bigger mag chucks. The porblem I have found with an older chucks is as it get harder to operate poeple just pump more grease in to it. This can cause a hydrualic lock type problem. If you have any other questions feel free to give me a call.
440 773 9477
Thank you
Joe

Ager tool - Joe - grigg thanks thats the info im looking for. Will be pulling it off this weekend with luck. Its not week and realy is in good nick. Theres a hell of a lot of top plate left. Just a bit nicked - dented - in need of a skim once sorted. Oh its also a fine pole chuck so is worth a lot more than the imports i have seen on the bay. Most imports seam to have the fewest poles possible. Will grease it up well on reassembly but it has no oil - grease fitting so i dont think thats my current problem Bassed on the age of the grinder im guesing the grease - oil in there has gone hard - gummy.

The clamps holding it down to the grinder are a right miss match of things with a stack of crappy off cuts under there ends. They bug me! My grinders one of the nicest cleanest tools i have owned. I want to keep it that way. Also the handles so stiif someday i see my hand slipping and punching the corner of the chuck. At best its going to hurt!

As is theres holes for side fences in the chuck. But no fences. How use full are they - should i mesure the holes - clean them out and make some up whilst i have it off? i know there normaly slotted so they drop down level - just bellow the chucks surface.

Thanks

Adam

Back