What's new
What's new

Manual for SPI radius angle dresser

tgford58

Plastic
I purchased an excellent condition SPI radius dresser. Unfortunately there were no manuals. Does anyone know where I can find manuals or does anyone own the manuals so I can get copies? Thank you for the help.

Ya know, it would be a courtesy to post a picture or at least a model # when asking for advice. :rolleyes5:

The link Gene refers to is pretty close to the SPI manual I'm familiar with.
Start on page 4, setting up the diamond holder, so the diamond is accurately referenced to center and to the given tool setting gage. (needs to be centered horizontally and vertically) After that, you can change or re-set a diamond to the factory gage and work with confidence to your angle and radius settings.

To set a radius, that manual is not quite clear.
The pin, #21, is a very tight sliding fit. SPI suggests tapping it with a plastic face hammer. Push the pin to the side desired, depending if the set up is for ID or OD radius. Use gage blocks or a mic'd adjustable parallel between the previously set (calibrated) stops one on each side, fig 4, to set the OD or ID radius desired. Visual perspective, facing the unit as drawn: You can see that if #21 is above the stop on the left side it gives ID, and if below the one on the right it gives OD. If #21 is centered with right stop contacting it above, and left stop contacting below, the diamond point, when set with the factory provided gage, should be dead on center vertically. (As per set up procedure for the unit, done as the first step before using).

smt

Thank you. I appreciate the information and you are correct. Model may be helpful. I'm not as accomplished on the surface grinder as I would like. I enjoy the machine, probably because of my lack of familiarity. My goal for the dresser is to be able to going a flat that transitions to a .100 radius. I've never used the grinder for this operation, instead relying on a mill pass with the appropriate corner radius end mill. I'm hoping to improve on the precision of the end product.

My goal for the dresser is to be able to going a flat that transitions to a .100 radius.

Not sure I really understand that and no clue what the orientation might be on the wheel, but that is ok as long as you do. :) If the radius on the wheel is OD (a "bullnose") a regular diamond stick will do it and is the cheapest use of the diamond.
If the .100 radius is ID (a "cove"), then it will probably be necessary to use a rat tail unless the segment of arc is short.

smt

I am currently working through our SPI angle and radius dresser, and am keen for a manual, having reviewed the Yuasa manual above.
I have linked to my youtube channel where I have worked through the operations and servicing of an SPI Angle and Radius dresser as far as I can tell.
SPI Angle and Radius Dresser service - YouTube

Back