What's new
What's new

Matrix No 2 Cylindrical Grinder.

Peter S

Diamond
I have recently bought one of these machines, in a filthy state but hopefully still in reasonable order once cleaned up. It is a smallish machine, weighs about 2 tons, can handle about 600mm between centres. The grinding wheel is about 12" diameter x1" wide. This particular machine has the wheel retract option. The workhead is driven by a Kopp variator. The internal grinding attachment hinges down from above.It is a metric machine.

At this stage a handbook and parts book would be really helpful. Can you help?

Tony at lathes.co.uk sells them (photocopies) for £75 each and Matrix will sell them at £100 each for pdf copies. I don't want to spend this much, hence my request.

Does anyone have experience with these machines? Matrix is probably best known for their thread grinders, several of which I have seen in NZ. Up until the late 1960's Matrix was the trade name for the long-established Coventry Gauge and Tool Ltd. In those years they made jig borers and slip gauge sets as two examples from a large range of rather nice gear branded "Matrix".

The photo shows it as bought. I have already cleaned off a lot of oily, gritty grime and it is starting to look better except where the sheets of paint are falling off.

Matrix cylindrical 01.jpgMatrix cylindrical 02.jpgMatrix cylindrical 03.jpg

Back