What's new
What's new

Moore jig grinder out of tram

kdiver58

Plastic
Does anyone have any insights into how we can get our
Fosdick/Moore jig grinder back into tram.
It was dropped 6" while being moved and now the head
trams out .004 in 4".
Our maintenance seems stymied on how to fix it.

Thanks .. K

If this is indeed the only effect of the accident (I sort of doubt it), probably the only way to correct it is by scraping the mating surface between the base and the column.

However, before doing anything to it, I strongly urge to verify that the table moves straight, without any up and downs, that the deflection of the quill is indeed linear, etc.

If you provide a few pictures of the machine, it would help us coming up with more sensible suggestions.

Paolo

.004" in 4" is something like 40 times worse than the factory spec.

My thoughts are is that you have a broken casting or bent keeper.

If the maintenance guy cannot figure out what is wrong it is doubtful that he would be qualified to fix the problem.

I feel for you, a dealer recently dropped a machine I bought. He saved ten seconds by not slinging properly, and totaled a machine.

.004" in 4" is something like 40 times worse than the factory spec.

My thoughts are is that you have a broken casting or bent keeper.

If the maintenance guy cannot figure out what is wrong it is doubtful that he would be qualified to fix the problem.

I feel for you, a dealer recently dropped a machine I bought. He saved ten seconds by not slinging properly, and totaled a machine.
That's gut wrenching. He's out the machine and you're out the time it took to find it plus what it will take to find another.

Where do you have the indicater clamped? Sounds like it is set up to grind a taper.

Would agree to check this first if you haven't already. The Moore's I ran all had this capability, you have to swing open the quill covers and it's on top, even has a graduated Vernier scale for degrees of taper. It's just a simple two locking screw arrangement. Hope that helps.

How was it dropped ? Was it on a pallet and went straight down bc someone pulled the wrong lever on the fork truck. or did it come down and one side hit a 6" wood block on the floor and the other side went down cast iron to concrete?
Did the riggers tell you it got dropped 6" or did you actually see it happen ?

Dave

You called it a Moore /Fosdick, is this a Fosdick Jig Bore that's been adapted to jig grinding with a Moore grinding spindle ? and ... how are you checking thee tram ?
Cheers Don

We had a Moore/Fosdick at GM it was a Fosdick frame with the grinding head fromMoore. Was a nice machine that was well executed. It was bigger than a #3 Moore. I believe it had a table about 18 x 30 inches.

Back