What's new
What's new

Moving A Norton 6x18 Surface Grinder

Cosnar16

Cast Iron
My wife's uncle just offered me a Norton 6 x 18 surface grinder. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to move it the 160 or so miles from New Jersey to Massachusetts. I'm going to put it on a pallet, and transport on a drop deck trailer since on my end I only have a pallet jack / engine hoist. My concern is it being top heavy, and I would like to remove the table to reduce weight up high, and prevent damage during transport. I was wondering if anyone knew if the table was held on by gravity, or is it fastened somehow?, and if anyone has any tips for moving it (how to lift, where to lift it etc...)
thanks
-Eric

Resized952016030895130348.jpg

That table adds little mass to that beast. A block of wood between the spindle housing (not the wheel)and the vise should work. Lock the table with travel stops if it has them. Is that a motor driven DC generator for the Chuck? or something else?

My Harig and Myford grinders have built in points to lift, eyeball, then check the manual for lift locations. The spindle side of the column would be my guess for the CG.

(on edit)
A quick google, found info on Norton grinders. The unit that looks like yours has awful photos. But read page 9, states to use 2 2 1/2" bars positioned under the swell portion of the grinder, then lifted with a sling.

That table adds little mass to that beast. A block of wood between the spindle housing (not the wheel)and the vise should work. Lock the table with travel stops if it has them. Is that a motor driven DC generator for the Chuck? or something else?

(on edit)
A quick google, found info on Norton grinders. The unit that looks like yours has awful photos. But read page 9, states to use 2 2 1/2" bars positioned under the swell portion of the grinder, then lifted with a sling.
Talked to my wife's uncle this evening, he already has the table off and the oil drained, so one part taken care of. I believe that is the phase converter for the machine next to it. Found the manual and what you mentioned about lifting with bars and a sling, seems like that's the way to go for how I need o move it.

I was taught you always remove the table on a roller bearing style grinder (the norton 6x12 table is on rollers) to avoid damaging these surfaces as it goes down the highway. Unlike other bearings, the table just sits there unrestrained so bumps and bounces create lift and impact.

if its like mine, the only attachment for the table is the steel cord connected to each end of the table (underneath) that wraps around a capstan on the traversing handwheel shaft. Undo the ends and the table can be lifted off

edit....I just realized I'm thinking my 6x12 whereas you've got a 6x18. Apologies if that confused things.

Back