What's new
What's new

Myford MG12 Lubrication

rgerlach

Aluminum
Does anyone have locally available (in the US) equivalents for the Esso lubricants called out in the Myford manual?

Items in question:
ESSO NUTO H36
ESSO NUTO H44
ESSO ESSTIC 55
ESSO K53

I am now the proud owner of a dirty, grimy and ugly but working MG12 from 1973. I got the ID spindle, tailstock and the special lubricators so I feel lucky. All the motors spin up nicely now that I have it wired for 220V.

Ron G
Tustin, Ca

I use Vactra II, Mine has all oil zerks, no central lube system. I would suggest removing the machine bed and checking the oil rollers. The channels get gunked up, and the rollers stop rolling. Check to be sure the springs lift the rollers, and the rollers are round and turn freely. One of my rollers had a flat spot from siezing, just made another out of scrap. Flush out the channels,

Check to be sure the springs lift the rollers, and the rollers are round and turn freely. One of my rollers had a flat spot from siezing, just made another out of scrap. Flush out the channels,
OK I have the bed off. That was way simpler than I was imagining. I see that the V slot rollers are spring loaded and move up/down freely but the flat way roller posts appears to be fixed. If these are also supposed to be spring loaded then I will investigate further.

Yup, sure enough. They were stuck. One was a real bear but I got both of them out. I noticed the V ways are protected and rust free but the flat ways have a rusty/oily coating. I presume grinding fluid easily finds it's way down the front edge of the bed and migrates into the exposed parting line between the bed and the base. There should be an easy way to prevent or minimize this.

Start with the drain ports they clog up with grinding dust, add rust and you end up with rusting concrete stopping the proper draining of coolant. Check out those oil catch drains at end of the ways, likely full with grits and coolant, little oil. To go a bit further, remove the bed from the base, Under that will be all kinds of rust and clogged drain holes. You will note that many of those chambers under the bed have no way to drain any coolant that finds its way there, just collect rust as it ages.

I have updated those roller feed systems with a Bijur pump and adding metering units. Make it almost float compared to the old systems. I have pictures I will add soon.

Will add some more info later.

Attachments

• 20160817_141200 (1).jpg
    20160817_141200 (1).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20160817_141028.jpg
    20160817_141028.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20160817_141114 (1).jpg
    20160817_141114 (1).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20160817_141147_001 (3).jpg
    20160817_141147_001 (3).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2014-02-24_11-15-01_4 (1).jpg
    2014-02-24_11-15-01_4 (1).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I have updated those roller feed systems with a Bijur pump and adding metering units. Make it almost float compared to the old systems. I have pictures I will add soon.

Will add some more info later.

Nice setup. I would like to see some photos of the metering units in the slide ways.
What oil do you use in your wheel spindle?

When I did the job I didn't dream I would be putting them on here, so this is all I have. I worked with the machines owner and they did some of the work after I scraped the machine. We utilized the existing gravity feed with the new pumped or metered system. It was a few years ago and I will see if I have any other pictures. If you can see the pimp is lower then the ways and the metering units are lower then the ways so the oil lines are always full. We drilled new holes into the Vee's and Flats. 2 on each side about 1/2 way back.

The one picture of the base was taken when I was scraping it and I have several other pictures of the scraping. So one on each side of the V and one on each side of the table flat. The old rollers were left in. When you have a production shop people forget to fill oiler reservoirs and the machine wears. The auto lube squirts oil while the spindle motor is running. The old system uses small drip holes to lube the feed screws, so that is the same. The pump eliminated the stick slip of the ways.

I will have to do some research on the metering unit numbers, but Bijur changed hands and the newer units resemble Willey Vogel type now . I believe we used the same as a FGB-0 or may have been
FGB-1. The same as we use in Bridgeports. I do know we used Vactra 2 oil. The spindle bearings were left alone as they use spindle oil. The wheel head ways and feed screw as you can see is using the ports that the original hand oil pump used

Back