What's new
What's new

Need shop for surface grinding.

genther

Plastic
Hello,

Does anyone have recommendation for a shop in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area that would do a small surface grinding job? I have one piece of machined cast iron that needs one side surfaced ground. It is about 6" wide and 17.5" long. Google searches come up empty. Thanks in advance.

surface grinding philadelphia - Google Search

Lot's of options.

Call one that looks close and likely to take small jobs based on ad copy.
If they don't want it or price seems high, ask who they would send a small job to. They'll mostly know each other, or of others.

Out of curiosity:
needs one side surfaced...

What is the current condition? Is it a parallel part or will it need shimmed or other set up on the chuck? Some parts it's easier to kiss the back before doing the "good" side for both set up convenience, and minimizing warp from pulling a non-flat surface down to the chuck.
What are the tolerances?
Should it be ground on a recip, or is Blanchard OK?
What is the application?

smt

Thanks for the help. I never tried searching for surface grinding, just machine shops. It is a new T-slot cross slide for my South Bend 13" lathe. The bottom slide surface was scraped to true and I need to remove the tool marks from the machined top. Blanchard is most likely fine.

The machine I was using had a couple of thousandths dip in the y axis bed, so each pass of the cutter left a small ridge.

Just for cutter steps and if close enough to function likely I would not have it ground..6 x 17” is a big part and will tend to get hot nearing full surface even running with coolant so if not a decent grinder hand having the right wheel could out a heat warp in it...likely to charge an hour shop rate....

I could do it, but there would a mark as the travel is only 12", so two sections would need to be blended. It would be more cosmetic, than metrological.
Tom

Back